Cognate Object

David Knoll

Hi Everyone,

So I am trying to find objects that share the same root with the verbal predicate. I search a phrase. Under the phrase I add a predicate and a complement. Under the predicate I add the verb. Under the Complement I add a noun (For now. I may want to add participles later). Now how do I make them agree in root form. The agree operator can't be dragged inside the columns...

thanks,

David

Hi Everyone,

So I am trying to find objects that share the same root with the verbal predicate. I search a phrase. Under the phrase I add a predicate and a complement. Under the predicate I add the verb. Under the Complement I add a noun (For now. I may want to add participles later). Now how do I make them agree in root form. The agree operator can't be dragged inside the columns...

thanks,

David

David,

Doesn't this work?

David,

Doesn't this work?

Oh it works fine. I didn't think it possible to drag the Agree operator inside a box so I tried to put it underneath. Thank you very much!

Oh it works fine. I didn't think it possible to drag the Agree operator inside a box so I tried to put it underneath. Thank you very much!

Very interesting search. If you don't mind, I'll put that one in the Hebrew search manual.

By the way, don't forget to choose "search both directions" to catch them all.

Thank you Robert. I am wondering if the syntax database would help me locate cases of asyndeton in tho OT. I know of three cases in Gen: 24:1, 27:2, 49:9 and 5 in Psalms: 14:1, 112:9, 60:3, 73:19, 106:13.

If I do a morphological search which is based on proximity, I get Gen 43:14 which clearly does not contain asyndeton but a construction similar to a conditional where one verb is in the protasis and the other is in the apodosis. On the other hand, Gen 27:2 is not caught in the search.

My problem is that I see that you tag the two verbs in these constructions as independent of each other (in separate clauses). If I put them in separate clauses in the Hebrew construct window, I am unable to match them in number gender and person nor am I able to put a WITHIN operator between clauses...

Is there no way to search asyndeta?

Thank you Robert. I am wondering if the syntax database would help me to locate cases of asyndeton in tho OT. I know of three cases in Gen: 24:1, 27:2, 49:9 and 5 in Psalms: 14:1, 112:9, 60:3, 73:19, 106:13.

If I do a morphological search which is based on proximity, I get Gen 43:14 which is clearly not asyndeton, (a construction similar to a conditional where one verb is in the protasis and the other in the apodosis) while Gen 27:2 is not caught in the search. My problem is that I see that you tag the two verbs in these constructions as independent of each other (in separate clauses). If I put them in separate clauses in the Hebrew construct window, I am unable to match them in number gender and person nor am I able to put a within operator between clauses...

Is there no way to search asyndeta?

David,

Ohh, that's a tough one. You've just cost me well over an hour puzzling through searches. ;-)

My best search was with the INTER command: I used two PREDICATE=VERB columns with AGREE (PGN) and INTER=לא. Unfortunately, it picks up cases where the two verbs are different speech levels. But it does pick up a few more than you've found: Ps 10:10; 48:6; 119:16. It does bring up an interesting question, though: do you want cases where line-pairs do not have an intervening vav?

post-29948-062040100 1303609585_thumb.png

Doing this search has also led me to a few small tagging and/or programming bugs that keep this search from currently finding a few of the verses you listed (but when an updated module is provided in mid-summer they'll be in the hits results).

Archived