Accordance for iOS as a Full Featured e-Reader

Bodie Quirk

No complaining here. Having Accordance for iOS is a dream come true. Thank you!!

As it grows and matures here is my wish list that I would like to see as this awesome App continues to improve.

1) Smoother Scrolling

For some reason, Accordance does not scroll like other things I read on the iPad. I swipe the screen up and the content barely moves. Love to see it become more fluid like the way other apps (Safari, for example) behave.

2) TEXT HIGHLIGHTING!!

This is the biggest of my requests! One of the coolest things about the Kindle for iPad app is the simple ability to highlight text. I would love to see this added to Accordance. Accordance's user notes are awesome, but I would love to be able to highlight both texts and tools in Accordance for iOS.

3) Sync Location

Again, using the Kindle app as an example, I love how it remembers where you left off when you last closed the app, just like Accordance on the desktop. It would also be cool to sync that to other iOS devices now that sync'ing is a reality.

4) Dividers in the Library

This doesn't have to do with Accordance as an e-reader, per se, but it would sure be nice to break up the long list of modules I have on my iOS devices into meaningful sub-groups.

5) Full Names of Modules in the Library

There is plenty of space, it would sure be easier for us who are fairly newer to Accordance to be able to have the full module name instead of a word or abbreviation. It would be very helpful in helping us remember what modules we actually have!!

That is all. Many thanks to the Accordance team for making this App a reality. As it is now, it is great. Future improvements will only make it better.

• 11 months later...

Im kind of bummed that Accordance still has not moved in this direction. I barely use it anymore on my ipad Id much rather read using the bible app the esv app or the logos app.

Hi Sam,

I'm sorry to hear of your discouragement, and I understand your desire to see Accordance for iOS live up to its full potential. I assure you that we want this is as well, and we are working hard to make it so. Up until recently, we have been focused on making this a true Accordance app rather than just an e-reader. For example, we needed to implement a more robust instant details view that features Amplify options and advanced searching. Without this kind of functionality, our app would just be another e-reader (and there are plenty of great e-readers in the App Store).

However, having added some of these core features, we are now focused on improving the reading experience. This includes functionality improvements (such as adding the ability to highlight by word, sentence, or paragraph) and also design improvements. Rest assured, we are very committed to making Accordance the best Bible study app available on iOS, and we appreciate your patience as we continue releasing new updates.

• Like 3

For me the most desirable addition to this excellent programme would be bookmarks. Even if it was only one per module it would make and immense difference to the usefulness of the software.

I think in a very short time Accordance has gained a lot of functionality which I feel are very powerful compare to the competition. I agree there is improvement that needs to be made in the user interface and I have to agree I am VERY eager to see more improvements in the near future

AJ

The iOS app has certainly come a long way. I have tried several other Bible apps, and the current state of the Accordance app is very powerful indeed. While there are some niceties in the UI that could be improved, some of them will be addressed in the next major update and the progress of the app thus far is sufficient reason to believe that it will only get better. I probably use the iOS app more than the Mac app now and am very grateful for it.

I'm surprised and totally impressed that I can have searching access to my 2 GB worth of modules on my iPhone!

That said, I generally read 3 or more chapters a day on my iPhone and commentaries and things, and often get cramps in my fingers from scrolling every few seconds. I would rather tap once at a certain point to scroll down a page, for example.