Change Focus of Range Command

sacha zemp

Hi

When I use the RANGE Command on iOS 1.2 it will look like this:

[RANGE Gen.]

Why Genesis? It should not write any bookname, but instead the cursor should be there so I can just start to enter the bookname.

Now I have to move the cursor, delete the Genesis bookname and type mine. This is a bad UI

Or am I missing something?

Sacha

This is, of course, what happens in the desktop app. It has a highlighted question mark, ready for inputting the book name(s).

This being their clear decision on how to implement it, I would guess this is a limitation of the API's on iOS, that it is more difficult to do this on iOS. You're going to have to move around one way or another, though, still, so you can input the rest of the search criteria.

This is, of course, what happens in the desktop app. It has a highlighted question mark, ready for inputting the book name(s).

This being their clear decision on how to implement it, I would guess this is a limitation of the API's on iOS, that it is more difficult to do this on iOS. You're going to have to move around one way or another, though, still, so you can input the rest of the search criteria.

Joe is essentially correct here. We are using the OS supplied search bar and it does not support setting the cursor position or selected text range programatically. We decided that rather than leave it empty we would fill in a default value. One advantage of doing this is that a double tap on the default value usually selects it correctly and then you can go ahead and type in a replacement value.

Scott.

Archived