Sync User Notes between Macs

ross.strader

I have two Macs that I work on... one at my desk and a laptop I carry around.

Is there a way to sync the User Notes (i.e. My Bible Notes) between the two computers so I can make and update notes from either computer and they be in sync?

Thank you for any assistance,

Ross Strader

The easiest way at the moment is to use an iOS device that has Accordance for iOS installed. Sync your notes from one Mac to your iOS device and then sync user content only from your iOS device to your other Mac Of course this assumes you have an iOS device...

Scott

Is there a way to sync the User Notes (i.e. My Bible Notes) between the two computers

The answer to your question is "yes."

What you need on BOTH computers is:

1) DROPBOX.

2) MacDropAny

After you download and install these, then follow the directions on the MacDropAny wiki to sync your folders. It basically boils down to three things:

1) Copy the user notes you want to keep in sync from one computer to the other

2) make sure it's in the same relative place as the other computer

3) turn off dropbox (on both computers)

4) use MacDropAny to make your aliases

5) Turn on Dropbox again (on both computers)

The result is that now you are able to sync your user notes between your computers wherever you are at (as long as you have an internet connection). Using this method you can also sync highlights and usertools. You cannot sync maps and your desktop setup however.

Likewise, I don't think this will work with iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc). It might. I haven't been able to try it, since my user notes are over the 5 meg limit. But, if you're just syncing between your macs, it's a simple, reliable solution.

Let me know if it works.

post-126-095217100 1306688070_thumb.jpg

The answer to your question is "yes."

What you need on BOTH computers is:

1) DROPBOX.

2) MacDropAny

After you download and install these, then follow the directions on the MacDropAny wiki to sync your folders. It basically boils down to three things:

1) Copy the user notes you want to keep in sync from one computer to the other

2) make sure it's in the same relative place as the other computer

3) turn off dropbox (on both computers)

4) use MacDropAny to make your aliases

5) Turn on Dropbox again (on both computers)

The result is that now you are able to sync your user notes between your computers wherever you are at (as long as you have an internet connection). Using this method you can also sync highlights and usertools. You cannot sync maps and your desktop setup however.

Likewise, I don't think this will work with iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc). It might. I haven't been able to try it, since my user notes are over the 5 meg limit. But, if you're just syncing between your macs, it's a simple, reliable solution.

Let me know if it works.

post-126-095217100 1306688070_thumb.jpg

This is an excellent suggestion for keeping your Notes synced between Macs. I'm sure we haven't tested syncing with iOS in this scenario. One gotcha is that the iOS app would be syncing over physical copies of the files and not the aliases themselves. So I don't know how that would affect the overall process.

Scott

Archived