Link to a specific article from a user tool

Alex H.

Is it possible for me to create a link to a specific article in an English tool when creating a user tool?

I searched for 'name' in ISBE, and can create a link in my user tool using the syntax [iSBE, Entry, name], but that pulls up a list of all articles with 'name', including sub-headings (e.g. Abraham > name). I want the specific article on 'Name' (I can navigate to it in the browser, but don't know how to link to it from my user tool).

Thanks.

Alex, I tried a couple of things which I honestly didn't think would work, and I'll be darned if they actually do!

Since you want the article that begins with "Name", just enter the following search:

name <WITHIN 1 Words> [FIELD Begin]

I frankly didn't realize the FIELD command was supported in Tools, so that was my first pleasant surprise.

Next I wondered if the fact that the FIELD command uses square brackets would mess up the user tool link (which also uses square brackets), but I tried Copy as User Tool Link, pasted it into a user tool, and I'll be darned if that didn't work too!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the prompt reply, David. It does work!

If anyone else is looking, the syntax for my search was [iSBE, Entry, name <WITHIN 1 Words> [FIELD Begin]]

Another way is to select a unique phrase in the beginning of the article you want to go to, click Search to search that tool for that phrase, and then save that search as your user tool link.

Another way is to select a unique phrase in the beginning of the article you want to go to, click Search to search that tool for that phrase, and then save that search as your user tool link.

This is what I've used in the past and I think it is the simpler way of doing it. Typically a 3-5 word phrase from the first sentence of the article is sufficient.

As an aside... I was taking notes on an Ugaritic text in COS (Context of Scripture) and did this kind of link to a particular phrase that I thought was significant in the text. However, when I later clicked on the link from my User Tool, the link surfaced about 5 other places that exact phrase occurs... and they all occur in the same text and seemed to have structural significance! I was quite pleased with this coincidental find.

Archived