Tips from the Blog

Helen Brown

David is obviously enjoying the outlet of writing for the Accordance Blog. His articles are extremely useful, and many would have a place in this Forum as they have great tips. However, on the blog itself it's not easy to find older articles except by plowing through the Archives.

It's a lot of work to transfer the articles, especially at the rate they are coming out, so for now I am going to link to them from here, for your convenience.

(Timeline)

To Search or Not to Search
(Using Resources)

(Types of Tools)

(Define Dialogs)

(The @ Symbol)

(animated routes)

(Details windows)

(analysis)

(Greek analysis)

(tagged Greek search)

(the idea of the Construct)

(Key numbers and Constructs)

(the Go To box)

(finding passages that do
not
include a word)

(Greek Construct with Roots)

and
more
and
more

and
more

and the
Preferences

(Count command and Highlighting)

(the tools browser)

User Tools

as User Tools

and
more
and
more

and
part 2

There are many other posts, but these are the ones that contain tips on getting the most out of Accordance.

Edited by Helen Brown
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just cannot rein David in! He keeps coming up with great new ideas for the blog. Obviously he has found the one thing he really loves to do, almost as much as he loves to prod the development team to improve and expand Accordance.

Anyway, it's all I can do to keep this list updated from time to time with links to the most useful posts that are actually tips for users.

• 1 month later...

Helen,

When you say use the `command' key, is that the control button?

How do I buy the Users Guide Book? I'm struggling to get under way with projects.

Ron

No, the command key is the technical name for the key with the Apple and flowery symbol on it. Its located between the space bar and option/alt key. Generally it is used for most commands, hence the name. For instance, command-S saves, command-C copies, etc. On the other hand, the control key controls the current functionality of the keyboard, often creating contextual menus (ala a right-mouse button) or different characters on the keyboard. Hope this helps.

flowery symbol
Or cloverleaf. :)

• 2 months later...

I have added some more of David's blogs to the list: it really is worth keeping an eye on the blog because it is hard to follow if one just digs around in it.

• 9 months later...

I have gleaned the most useful posts from another 10 months of blogs, and added them to the list above. Please let me know if I missed one of your favorites.

• 1 year later...

Its been about a year, do you have some more blog highlights for us Helen?

• 4 months later...

the link here only take you to Accordance home page

Steve is correct. The links simply open a new Accordance Home Page. They are not currently links to the blog articles.

Rich

I am sure the links changed because we moved the website. Sorry, I simply do not have time to relink them right now, but the Blog search is working well now, so they should not be hard to find.

Doesn't the blog look and work well now?

• 3 years later...

I was just searching through the tips and I think this page contains mostly broken links.

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

David's blog posts are very informative and are a great tool for taking the Accordance experience deeper.

It would really be nice to have these tips organized by topic.

• 4 months later...

It would really be nice to have these tips organized by topic.

I agree! As I was responding to another post that asked about learning how to study the Bible using Accordance, I pointed him to the excellent index of Podcasts. I also wanted to point him toward some blog posts, but found that the archive list was very difficult to wade through, as Helen pointed out.

I even went to the search function on the Accordance web page, searched for "study", then selected the "Blog" option at the top of the list of hits (which were initially all products). The result was that it found NO ITEMS! I know that's not true, so somehow the search function is not properly scanning the blogs.

Are the blog posts topically tagged? If not, that would be a great first step toward categorizing them and providing an index similar to the one that's available for Podcasts. There's far too much good information in those blog posts to let them sit hidden in the archives!

Thanks!

-Scott

Edited by Scott Stringer

• 2 months later...

Just joined the forum since I had an idea this morning before church and couldn't get it to work. I'm hoping someone has an idea about this type of search. I woke up at 4:33 AM four days in a row and decided the Spirit wanted me to find a reference or references to share on. I couldn't figure out how to do a search for all the "4:33" verses in the Bible. *4:33 didn't seem to work as the reference was looking for a book. Any ideas? Thank you.

Hi, I see there are no responses yet, and there are many be cleverer people than I out there, but I must admit I don't know how you can do this in Accordance. Anyone else?

Sorry, the site search engine is in transition. We have a new engine in place which is mostly working much better for products but not at all for articles and blog posts. The techs are working on it and we hope to see improvements this week.

(The previous search depended on Google and we had no control over it.)

• 1 month later...

I have the same sort of thing going as fharwood. I stumbled on his post by accident but I am trying to do the same thing except I am looking for 3:16 in every book of the Bible. Obviously I am too stupid to figure it out, I was hoping somebody else had by now. Maybe there is no way. I guess I might just have to go through every single book and copy and paste the verses but it would be nice if the program could just put them all in a nice list for me. If I don't hear anything back then I will assume it is just impossible and go about it the hard way.