Creating Custom Vocabulary Lists

Richard Liantonio

Hi. I am wondering if it is possible to make a list with Accordance of, for example, all of the Greek words in the LXX (or Apostolic Fathers) that DO NOT occur in the list of words that occurs 10+ times in the GNT. I know its possible to create custom frequency lists within modules, but is it possible to cross modules with some kind of Boolean search? If so, that would be amazing!

Thanks so much!

Of course you can!

Search your GNT-T for [COUNT 10-10,000]

Search your LXX for *-[HITS GNT-T]

That means find all words that aren't found in the tab named GNT-T.

One more thing - I just tried it and it needed a little tweaking, just in case anyone reading this thread attempts to try it

In the GNT tab put: [count 1-20000]

(Accordance didn't like having a comma in the number; also the definite article appears over 10,000 times apparently so it got included in the set)

Also, when I set the search tab to either GNT or LXX, it starts typing in Greek font, so if you set the search tab to an English Bible first, and then switch the search tab over to the greek module it works better.

In the LXX tab put: * @- [HITS GNT-T]

(not sure why it wanted an "at" symbol before the "minus sign" but it did...)

Helen - let me know if this is right - as I'm looking at the results it looks right. Again THANKS SO MUCH for the tip

Peace,

Richard

You are correct in your results. Helen works far too much and sometimes (rarely!) makes a few mistakes. First, yes Accordance does not support commas in large numbers. Second, the @ is very necessary for the search. The @ represents a specific requirement for the word in question. By doing @-, we are requiring that it does not match a particular condition. So, your search is really saying "Give me every word {*}, but only the ones {@} that don't match my earlier hits {-[HITS GNT-T]}."

I hope this helps to clarify.

Okay wonderful - Helen and Joel - thank you so very much. Not only is Accordance an amazing product - your customer service is amazing as well!!

Thanks again!

Okay wonderful - Helen and Joel - thank you so very much. Not only is Accordance an amazing product - your customer service is amazing as well!!

Thanks again!

If you'd like to study your custom vocab list, see this screencast which utilizes flashcardexchange.com and Mental Case. [make sure Greek/Hebrew prefs are set to export to Unicode]

Archived