Setting up parallel Gospel passages

Evan Hershman

Today I was trying to compare a passage from John with one from Luke (Jn 20.1-11/Lk 24.12), but Accordance's default method of displaying search results in the Workspace window, where all the verses matching the search are given in a list, was not really conducive to being able to easily compare the two passages entered. How can I set up my Workspace so that I can see the John and Luke passages (or any different passages, for that matter), in parallel panes?

Evan,

Have you tried doing the search for John 20:1-11 and then clicking on the Parallels icon from the Amplify Palette, which should pull up a list of modules to help with that (Harmony, Gospels, Synoptics)? The icon would look like this:

post-235-077620700 1312776650_thumb.png

It should yield the following result.

post-235-041368700 1312776694_thumb.png

Also, you may want to deselect the "Tie Scrolling" checkbox so you can scroll each gospel to the verse(s) you are looking to compare, i.e., your passage in Luke. Also keep in mind that when I selected to Amplify to the Parallels, the passage in John was not immediately visible in the zone but you can easily add that passage by clicking the plus sign to the upper right of open pane just under the information box (the plus sign disappeared once I opened the book of John). Hope that helps.

Edited by Brent Lawrence

There are several solutions to your question.

1. Use the Parallel window. Every user of Accordance 9 gets the complete set of parallels, three are different arrangements of the Gospels. I opened Gospels from the Resource palette, entered Luke 24, and the very first parallel includes your two passages as well as Matthew and Luke. In this tab you do have an option to tie or untie the scrolling of the panes.
  2. Open each passage in a different zone so that you can see them side by side.
  3. Enter both passages in the same search tab, add a pane to show the same version, then press control as you scroll the scroll bar to the second passage. As long as you press control you can line up the verses any way you want, but if you scroll or move them any other way, they will realign themselves. You cannot permanently suppress parallel scrolling because that is the way this tab is supposed to work with each pane displaying content for the same verse at the top of the window.

I hope this helps.

Hah! Brent beat me to it, on the first solution anyway.

• 9 months later...

What if we want to use the results of search, and quickly see their specific parallel verses (where applicable)?

So in my case, I want to search the New Testament in Greek for "apokritheis" <FOLLOWED BY> "eipen", then put all 74 verses in one window, with their corresponding Gospel parallel verses next to them, so I can quickly flip through and find places where Matthew seems to have added the phrase to his source. (The "parallels" panel seems to want to only search one specific verse at a time, while showing me the entire parallel passage, which is fine for one passage but extremely time consuming for 74 passages.) Is there any better way to do this?

Edited by sdh97m

Well actually, it's only 41 passages if we're only counting the hits in Matthew! ;)

All kidding aside, I've tried several Accordance tricks, but could not find one that would sufficiently automate this. The best you can do is select no more than 10 verses at a time, then amplify to one of the Parallels to bring up all the pericopes which include those verses. You can then select each pericope in succession from the list at the top right.

That will save you some time over amplifying from each hit verse in succession, but you're still going to have to look at each pericope, find the verses in the parallels that correspond to each hit verse in Matthew, and evaluate what is going on. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

So - to just take this one step further - slightly OT - sorry

Can you open the parallels and then compare the texts somehow? I know you can do it manually, but there is no "compare text" button, but it would be really useful to be able to pinpoint the differences (came up ias a question n a demo I did yesterday)

No, Compare text only works between the same verses in different versions. The parallels are not sufficiently similar to make a Compare text work, unless perhaps we programmed it to do the reverse, show only the similar words.

OK - ta Helen

• 1 year later...

just wondering if there's been anything more done on Ken's question?

being able to compare parallel passages would save me (and others!) buying a super-expensive hardcover Quattor Evangelium - and would be able to do much more than that, as it needn't be limited to the four Gospels!

I know nothing about programming, but on face value it seems what we can compare at the moment (different translations) would be many times more difficult than simply within the same text.

Hello,

This would help a lot I must say in Tanakh. But I could not find hot to get a "different zone" (answer 2 of Helen). There is still the option of scrolling pressing the control key, but this would be better: just get two different texts (not recorded as a synopsis) in front of each other. Let's say for example Exodus 20 and 34. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you Helen for your answer. I just managed to do this, though I have to master it, but this seems very comfortable to work two passages in a synoptic view. Bi-Vrakha.

Edited by Yohanan