Copy and Paste Reference Tool Content

Beloved John

Hello Everyone,

How are you all? I'm working on a user note in Accordance for OS X and I'm finding lots of good information in the reference tools. So, I'm copying and pasting that reference tool content to my user note, but I'm running into a problem because the reference tool content I'm copying contains links to other reference tool content and I'd like to retain the links in my user note.

When I click on the links within the reference tool itself I'm navigated to the additional or linked content as expected. However, when I use my mouse to select the original content that contains the links and choose copy, the links aren't pasted into my user note. Therefore, it defeats the purpose for my user note, which would give me all of the gems I found in the reference tools in one place, my user note.

Does anyone know how to copy and paste content from the reference tools so that any links will be retained in a user note. Please help an Accordance newbie. Thanks and God Bless You All!

Hi,

If I understand it correctly, you are trying to copy and past information from a reference tool into your user notes while retaining the ability to click on an external link within the user note and be taken to that new location in some other reference tool. I don't think (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) you can make external links other than to other scripture references within a User Notes file. For example, you can link to another part of scripture from within the User Note, but not to any other type of content (like a commentary, etc.).

If you want to link to a module outside of scripture, then you really should be creating a User Tool which will allow for greater flexibility of linking to other Accordance modules. Your Accordance Help file will point you in the right direction as to the correct way to handle creating those links. I haven't really had the time to play around with linking to external reference works much, but I did follow the instructions in the help file and created a link in a User Tool to an external search argument. I did a search in the Expositor's Bible Commentary for "John the Baptist" and then was able to copy and past my link into the User Tool that looked like this.

[EBC, English Content, John the Baptist]

When I updated the User Tool and then clicked on that link, I was taken to the Expositor's Bible Commentary and the first place where it references John the Baptist. I believe you can be more specific than that with the linking, but creating a User Tool will be the place to accomplish these external links. Hope that's not too confusing.

If you are copying and pasting something out of a commentary or somewhere else into a User Notes file and the commentary references a scripture verse then you will be able to make a link to that verse by highlighting it and then clicking the "Make Link" button in the bottom left part of the Edit User Notes window.

The long and the short is that the external linking power is with the User Tools, but the link needs to be created in the format that Accordance understands. The help file is very good in giving you those hints.

Blessings.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Pastor Brent. I apologize for taking such a long time in responding to your helpful post. In fact, as soon as I read it I began putting it into practice, but I didn't want to comment until I had completed all of the steps, so to speak. That way if I had any questions I could ask them all at once. But as life would have it I will need to continue at this as time permits, and now I think it best to at least acknowledge your posting and offer my thanks to you before an entire month passes, and I am close (smile). Many, many thanks to you. I did begin and found the help you offered to be right on point. I just need to work through all of what you advised to see if I have any more questions, but so far so good.

God Bless You and Thank You

Archived