Statistics Clarification

Ingo Sorke

1) When I search for the Lemma of αἰώνιος in the Gospel of John I receive 17 hits. The Hits Graph shows an occurrence in John 13, even though the adjective doesn't appear in Jn 13. I would assume a Hits Graph would display the occurrence and location in a defined range. What am I missing? What is the purpose/function of "Hits per 1000" words?

2) The Concordance does not retain the range limit set. If I search for πιστεύω in John only, the Concordance displays the occurrences for the verb in the NT. Can I limit the range for the Concordance?

In fact, how do I produce a list of just the search results for a term?

Thanks.

The hits per 1000 words gives you an average which smooths out the graph. If you set this to 100 words (in command-T, Set Hit Graph Display) you will see that the closest hit is in fact in John 12:50.

Yes, you can set the Concordance to concord only the range you are using in the pop-up menu for range (not the RANGE command), and again it's in command-T, Set Concordance Display. However, it will list all occurrences of each hit lemma within the range. You cannot narrow it to a specific inflected or grammatical form.

What do you mean by the search results for a term? If you just want the words, use the Analysis Details, and Set Analysis display to determine what to display and how to sort. If you mean the verse results, those are in the Search tab, and you can display and thus copy just the list of verse references.

The choices and the tools are all there in Accordance, you just need to explore the buttons and menus in order to find them.

The hits per 1000 words gives you an average which smooths out the graph. If you set this to 100 words (in command-T, Set Hit Graph Display) you will see that the closest hit is in fact in John 12:50.

- Hm, still not sure what the rationale behind a Hits per 100 or 1000 words is; I need hits per range, book, chapter, etc.

- Changing to 100 words still shows a bar with chapter 13 of John for αἰώνιος. The term I'm looking at does not occur in chapter 13; why does the program show an occurrence in chapter 13 and 14? Is there a graph option that shows αἰώνιος only for the chapter/verse that it occurs in?

- I would assume the Concordance defaults to the search range; it takes several extra steps to limit Concordance results to the search range.

- Accordance seems click-intense/uneconomical; changing a range from the pull-down menu means I have to confirm the search term again.

Thanks

For stats on the hits per chapter you should use the Table in the Details.

The original reason for requiring you to click on Search was to be sure that you were ready to run the new search, rather than wasting time running it each time you made a change. Of course, the searches are now so fast in the majority of cases, that this is hardly an issue.

Archived