Re-installing module content after a restore or device upgrade

Rick Bennett

When you restore your iOS device from a local or iCloud backup, it will restore all your user content (notes, highlights, etc.), but you will need to re-install all of your modules. WiFi sync makes this faster, but you should still plan ahead time-wise and of course make sure you have WiFi access. For others, a stable WiFi connection for Easy Install is highly recommended.

Just a quick reminder in light of the iPhone 4s / iOS 5 launch:

When you restore your iOS device from a backup iTunes will restore all your user content (notes, highlights, etc.), but you will need to re-install all of your modules. For Accordance Mac users WiFi sync makes this faster, but you should still plan ahead time-wise and of course make sure you have WiFi access. For others, a stable WiFi connection for Easy Install is highly recommended.

Happy upgrading

All this was true when Easy Install was the only option. Syncing from Accordance 9 on Mac is now so quick and easy, and it keeps the module order from the Library window.

Bummer! Can this be changed? After spending many cumulative hours installing modules, removing modules, and tweaking the iPad rendition of Accordance-- starting all over again is discouraging. Is this really necessary?

We are following Apple's recommendations about where to store user generated content (user notes, user tools, highlight files, etc.) and where to store content that can be redownloaded. The Instapaper developer has a great description of the issues we are facing here.

There is heated discussion going on the Apple developer forums about this issue since many developers were not following Apple's recommendation.

Sorry to register my complaint, but I find the installation process clunky at best. Might you consider moving the DONE and RECYCLE buttons away from the left edges. After going through (to the best of my memory) and selecting the preferred translations, if my finger accidentally touched the DONE or RECYCLE then the whole process reset to "Start over" which happened twice.

I'm a BIG FAN of Accordance--- however this process would be a good one to improve.

I would be interested in hearing how you would improve the syncing or Easy Install experience.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would be interested in hearing how you would improve the syncing or Easy Install experience.

Display Peanuts comic strips while you wait? *shrug*

Actually, it'd be nice if the dl list filtered out and simply did not display the modules that are "not for iOS download". That would be a lot cleaner. It's rather enigmatic right now, especially since you can't often read enough of the module title to know that what it says.

Syncing has failed for me completely.

Mac Accordance 9.4.3 <-> iOS 1.3.2 Sync doesn't seem to work at all.

Mac Accordance says the Mac and iPhone 4 (iOS 5) / iPad 2 (iOS 5) are sync'ed, but nothing gets moved.

Syncing has failed for me completely.

Mac Accordance 9.4.3 <-> iOS 1.3.2 Sync doesn't seem to work at all.

Mac Accordance says the Mac and iPhone 4 (iOS 5) / iPad 2 (iOS 5) are sync'ed, but nothing gets moved.

Steve,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble syncing. I'll need more specific information than you've provided to help diagnose the problem. Let's start with a couple of questions:

Have you ever synced before between these iOS devices, the Mac running Accordance, and over the particular WiFi network you are using?

If you try to sync a single text module does it succeed or fail?

Have you tried syncing over a temporary computer - computer WiFi network as described in the iOS troubleshooting pages?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Scott, You asked for suggestions on how to improve the syncing. The one that I think would be best for us would be for you to save a persistent list of the most recent modules installed onto an IOS device. That way when an update or restore happens, all we need to do is resync our device and the items we had on our device last time will already be selected to sync again. I would also add that every time I try to add modules and the list of items includes the NIV11 module, I get a sync error on my iPad and hitting stop in accordance doesn't do anything. I need to force quit the app even though the force quit dialogue doesn't say "not responding"

Have you ever synced before between these iOS devices, the Mac running Accordance, and over the particular WiFi network you are using?

Yes

I don't have time at the moment to respond to everything above but your last statement is factually incorrect. All user generated content like user notes , user tools, highlight files will survive the backup and restore operation completely intact. Further, during syncing user note files that are not checked in the sync dialog are not removed from the device but left alone.

It's likely that you have a user note file that is corrupt. So I would sync everything but user notes first, and then I would sync your user notes one at a time to figure out which particular file is causing your problem.

Scott

Regardless of what you believe the correct theory to be, I had notes (that I did not ever think to sync to Mac Accordance as they were always created away from my office). These notes were definitely deleted during the iOS 5 installation (along with everything else on my iPhone 4) and they were not restored by the iOS 5 upgrade restore process. If such notes indeed became corrupted as you hypothesize, the corruption occurred, or at least manifested as a failure, during the iOS 5 upgrade process; there was no apparent corruption manifestation evident in iOS Accordance prior to the iOS 5 upgrade.

It is through my oversight that I did not think to backup these notes by syncing to Mac Accordance.

I would urge that such manual intervention in one's destiny would be a good thing for OakTree to promote.

My statement stands: for all practical purposes, my notes were apparently lost forever due to the iOS 5 upgrade process.

Regardless of what you believe the correct theory to be, I had notes (that I did not ever think to sync to Mac Accordance as they were always created away from my office). These notes were definitely deleted during the iOS 5 installation (along with everything else on my iPhone 4) and they were not restored by the iOS 5 upgrade restore process. If such notes indeed became corrupted as you hypothesize, the corruption occurred, or at least manifested as a failure, during the iOS 5 upgrade process; there was no apparent corruption manifestation evident in iOS Accordance prior to the iOS 5 upgrade.

It is through my oversight that I did not think to backup these notes by syncing to Mac Accordance.

I would urge that such manual intervention in one's destiny would be a good thing for OakTree to promote.

My statement stands: for all practical purposes, my notes were apparently lost forever due to the iOS 5 upgrade process.

Steve:

First let me apologize if my quick reply on the forums yesterday gave any offense. I can certainly believe that somewhere during the updating process to iOS5 and the subsequent attempts to sync with your Accordance for Mac installation that you lost user note files. If the loss did occur during the iOS5 upgrade process which performs a device backup, wipe, and restore then the loss is particularly bad for two reasons. The first being your user note content was somehow lost. The second being that this loss has never occurred during the testing of Accordance for iOS under this scenario. The upgrade to iOS5 was not the first time this backup and restore has ever taken place for users. It also occurred during the iOS 4.2-iOS 4.3 upgrade. And users can trigger a device backup, wipe, and restore manually via iTunes at any time. I have never personally seen this type of user content loss since it was addressed in v1.1 or v1.2 and we have had no user reports of this type of loss occurring save for yours. My post yesterday was merely a reflection that I felt your statement was too universal rather than isolated to your particular situation.

What we have had a small handful of user reports about are what you experienced attempting to sync back your purged purchased content. A silent failing of the syncing to actually take place, or, as you discovered, a single problematic user note file causing a syncing error. This correlates with what we have seen in the other cases so far. We believe the cause is the same in both cases, a problematic user note file. We're working hard to track down the issue and will certainly keep our users aware of what is happening in this case. We also clearly recognize how poor the user experience is to have a single problematic file disrupt the whole process. I suspect that your data loss actually occurred during this process since it seems more likely and as I stated above, yours is the only user report we've had to date to point to the loss occurring during the iOS5 upgrade. I'll be following up with your emails to the support staff to help resolve the issue if possible.

I've also been forwarded your suggestions by the support staff that you sent via email and will follow up with you along those channels. I will say that the suggestion both you and KevinR have made about having some type of syncing history or "persistence" in the set of module that were last synced between the desktop and a particular iOS device is a very good one. The current design has no memory but merely sets the initial state of the syncing dialog to reflect what is currently on the device.

Thanks for your feedback and sorry about the issues you are having.

Scott.

• Dr. Nathan Parker unpinned this topic

Archived