Is it possible to do a grammatical search in English texts?

Beto Carvalho

I want to do a search for "Spirit" followed by [verb] in an English Bible. Is there a grammatically tagged English Bible?

I upgraded my NRSV to the NRSVS, but that just has the Strong's number.

Barring this possibility, how can I find a noun ("Spirit") with its corresponding verb in GNT-T and BHS-W4? Because of the different syntax, simply looking for ruach and pneuma <followed by> [verb] will not yield what I am looking for.

Thanks

There is no grammatically tagged English text.

If you want to be sure that the noun is the subject of the verb in a tagged text, you must add the Syntax module for that text. These modules, new last year, are expanding rapidly but do not yet cover the entire BHS and GNT. They will let you define, search for, and see, these types of searches and much more compex ones.

Thank you Dr. Helen. As always, you are pretty amazing.

I guess I'll go post my "grammatically tagged English Bible" suggestion in the appropriate Forum!

I agree with Helen, there is not currently any way to search grammatically of an English text, especially dealing with word order, as often this is different in the english translation than the original texts.

However, to search for specific grammatical forms of Spirit, just find the key number of the specific greek or hebrew word you wish to represent. So, for instance you can search for just the pneuma Spirits by doing 'spirit@[KEY G4151]'. To find all of the different uses of spirit, just run your search and open up the Analysis from the Details icon.

Archived