Syncing Atlas User Data via Dropbox

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

We recently became a two-Mac family, and I've been syncing my user tools, workspace files, highlights, etc. using Dropbox, thanks to the instruction in this thread.

It has worked well, but I discovered tonight that my atlas modifications (various types of User Layers and sets) aren't syncing over. So, my questions are:

-Where is this data stored?

-Is it in found in different places in Snow Leopard and Lion? (I have one of each right now, but will be soon be Lion-only)

-Are there any known problems with syncing these files in this way (I know I can only have Accordance open on one machine at a time; I'm thankful for Back to My Mac screen sharing that lets me quit Accordance remotely)

Thanks,

Lorinda

These are saved in the user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences files: Maps and User Layers.

Hi Lorinda,

Do you have any links for tutorials on screen sharing with "back to my mac?"

I have remote desktop and use it on my local network. But, I take it that with iCloud there's a way to access your computers remotely then?

I'm a mobileme user (for a few more months), which includes the Back to My Mac feature, although I anticipate moving to iCloud today, and it is my understanding that Back to My Mac is part of iCloud as well.. At the moment, I can't offer you a tutorial link. But I may be able to after I make my transition.

With MobileMe, there's a "Back to My Mac" tab in the Mobileme system preferences. I have turned on Back to My mac on both computers. With that turned on, assuming there aren't other problems, my other Mac is visible in finder windows, etc. In the "Shared" category of the list in the left panel. I can select it there, and then click on a "Screen Share" button, enter my user name and password, and screen share.

Sometimes when I'm at work with my "travel" Mac, though, I can't see my "home" Mac. Not sure if that's because the machine at home is asleep, or if there are network problems.

Hope that helps a little bit. I'll try to remember to post back once I've made the transition to iCloud.

Lorinda

Archived