Hebrew in Nisus

rdtaylorjr

I keep hearing that Mellel handles Hebrew better than any other word processor. I have been using both Mellel and Nisus Writer Pro for a few days and am planning to buy only one of them. For general purposes Nisus wins hands down, but I will need it for complex documents that include Hebrew and other RTL languages. So, what exactly can Mellel do with Hebrew that Nisus can't?

It's been a while since I've used Nisus (and I still miss the OS 9 version!), but can its Pro incarnation render cantillation well (it didn't the last time I'd compared)? How about fully pointed Arabic and Syriac?

Mellel handles all of these beautifully, and it also has some interesting integration with BookEnds that might make academic citation less of a chore.

I keep hearing that Mellel handles Hebrew better than any other word processor. I have been using both Mellel and Nisus Writer Pro for a few days and am planning to buy only one of them. For general purposes Nisus wins hands down, but I will need it for complex documents that include Hebrew and other RTL languages. So, what exactly can Mellel do with Hebrew that Nisus can't?

Here's a sample from NWP where I pasted a verse from the BHS. Pointing looks good (SBL Hebrew font), as does text wrap. The palette shows where you can easily click from LTR to RTL text.

Other than this I haven't used it for any extensive Hebrew; Mellel has been my preference.

HTH…

post-5629-096798400 1319057388_thumb.png

Archived