All resources with references to the current verse

Lyndon Drake

As I'm starting to get to grips with Accordance, and have more tools, I'm hoping that there's a way to do something which Bibleworks seems to do quite well. From seeing my tutor use Bibleworks, it has a pane which shows all tools which reference the "current" verse. Now, obviously I can link a commentary to the current verse, but I'm starting to find that with Hebrew, for example, there will often be a reference to a verse in either GKC or Jouon-Muraoka which is helpful, but it's not obvious to me how to link them to the verse. Any thoughts?

As I'm starting to get to grips with Accordance, and have more tools, I'm hoping that there's a way to do something which Bibleworks seems to do quite well. From seeing my tutor use Bibleworks, it has a pane which shows all tools which reference the "current" verse. Now, obviously I can link a commentary to the current verse, but I'm starting to find that with Hebrew, for example, there will often be a reference to a verse in either GKC or Jouon-Muraoka which is helpful, but it's not obvious to me how to link them to the verse. Any thoughts?

Hi, Lyndon!

There are two ways to do what you want, but we don't call either of them "linking." The first is that any tool, including Hebrew lexicons, can be searched by word or verse reference. We call this action "amplifying." Just select the first reference (or word) with your cursor, then click on the source you'd like to search [e.g. Gen. 1:1>Hebrew tools (on the Resource palette)>[scroll down to] HALOT. In fact, you can click on a tool category and scroll all the way down to "All..." [in this case, "All Hebrew"]

Users can also select any word, phrase or verse reference and use "Search All..." "Search All" searches every possible field of every resource in the group you select: "All," "All Texts," "All Tools," or every resource in one of the custom "My Groups" you have set up.

The BibleWorks system works just fine with the limited number of tools in their standard bundle, but many Accordance users have many, many more tools. The kind of linking you describe would produce an overwhelming number of hits for each verse or word. You'd literally be searching seeing thousands of hits for every verse. [no exaggeration] The Accordance set up allows users to target the exact source(s) they want.

Hope this helps—and welcome to Accordance! :)

Archived