Typing Hebrew searches with the SIL keyboard

Lyndon Drake

At the moment, to type in Greek there is an option in Accordance to use the polytonic keyboard. There is a similar option for the Israeli keyboard, but nothing which corresponds to the "Biblical Hebrew - SIL" layout SBL provides. I type mostly in other Mac apps using the SIL layout, and hence I'm very bad at remembering the Accordance layout. Is there any chance of adding support for the SIL layout, or is that just a pandora's box of potential keyboard layouts to deal with?

At the moment, to type in Greek there is an option in Accordance to use the polytonic keyboard. There is a similar option for the Israeli keyboard, but nothing which corresponds to the "Biblical Hebrew - SIL" layout SBL provides. I type mostly in other Mac apps using the SIL layout, and hence I'm very bad at remembering the Accordance layout. Is there any chance of adding support for the SIL layout, or is that just a pandora's box of potential keyboard layouts to deal with?

Kind of a Panora's box. This came up in a recent thread, so the request is on our radar so to speak, though no indication of if/when Unicode entry will be supported.

I know that there are apps for doing keyboard mappings for Linux. But I don't have the necessary experience with OSX.

Does anyone know of an app for OSX that allows one to make a keyboard driver?

With that, it should be a simple matter of creating one. I've googled around a bit, and only found confirmation that a keyboard mapping doesn't exist. Certainly the ability to enter any Unicode code point is available in OSX. Just not conveniently for Hebrew, especially for niqqud.

• 1 month later...

Try Ukelele, at http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele. Disclaimer: I'm the developer (but it is the only tool around).

The tricky part is that keyboard layouts produce Unicode, whereas Accordance deals with MacRoman. I'm not sure how the search field inputs are handled, but I'm guessing that they use the Hebrew font installed with Accordance, Yehudit, which I think is not a Unicode font but MacRoman with Hebrew in the upper ASCII range. Starting with the existing keyboard layout used by Accordance would make it somewhat easier (though where is it kept?).

Archived