Exegetical Guide to the Greek New Testament

AdamR

I've heard that Murray Harris is working on additional volumes to his Exegetical Guide to the Greek New Testament (EGGNT) to supplement his single volume on Colossians and Philemon. I would imagine that this series, assuming it becomes one, would make an excellent addition to Accordance, especially for intermediate Greek students and pastors working to keep up their Greek. Having the GNT-T, BDAG, and Harris' volume all in one window would be really, really slick for continuing to learn the language and syntax. The fact that one could then search the LXX, look at Metzger or Comfort for text critical analysis, and so forth either because Harris directs you to or because of your own interest would, obviously, be a great example of Accordance's power for Greek students and pastors who continue to learn and study with the Greek NT close by.

Just a thought.

Has anyone else here used Harris' volume on Colossians and Philemon?

I've not used Harris' works. By skimming through it in the amazon viewer, it does seem like a resource that is apropos for Accordance. I also would like to see many of the resources that SIL (especially the Exegetical Summary Series) publishes become part of the Accordance offerings. Another similar resource is Zerwick's Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament. Zerwick's interaction with the text is not as extensive as that of Harris' or Exegetical Summary. Another similar resource is GNT-Keys (Accordance parlance) formally entitled, The New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament.

Of course, there are some other great resources in this genre that would be a delight to have for iOS and Mac Accordance. For example, Perschbacher's Refresh Your Greek, is a another practical help for consultative reading. Or, Moulton and Milligan's, The Vocabulary of the Greek New Testament: Illustrated from the Papyri and Other Non Literary Sources, is another highly desired resource for lexical studies.

Edited by James Tucker
  • Like 1

Has anyone else here used Harris' volume on Colossians and Philemon?

I used Harris' volume for my Greek Exegesis class through the book of Colossians and it was excellent. I'm happy to hear that there will be more volumes, as I found the details very helpful for those with Greek knowledge but perhaps aren't immediately aware of the twenty-some options for how the genitive can be understood. I'd definitely purchase this if it were made available in Accordance.

• 2 years later...

I've just been given a copy of Vlachos on James. If the others in the series follow this format, which the general series introduction indicates, then they will indeed be very handy. It strikes me as a Zerwick on steroids, examining the grammatical alternatives on a verse by verse basis from the Greek text, and discussing them. It also provides very substantial bibliographies. One weakness I've noticed is that the verse that is being studied is not given in full in the Greek before then being broken down. Of course this would impact the length and the Greek is given in fragments as each is treated. Having this in Acc of course would allow one to have the Greek in parallel beside which would resolve this small shortcoming.

And having the many references link to Acc resources and support for ID in various cases would be really nice.

Thx

D

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

+1

• 1 year later...

+1 I have a volume of this series for Kindle and it is solid. Would love to have this for Accordance. 

We've made some progress on acquiring this series, but no word on a release date yet.

• Like 7

• 8 months later...

EGGNT in Accordance? yes please! They're currently available in WordSearchBible.com, and on sale, but it'd be great to have them all in Accordance.

• Like 1

EGGNT in Accordance? yes please! They're currently available in WordSearchBible.com, and on sale, but it'd be great to have them all in Accordance.

This series is in queue for development. Still no word on a release date though. 

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I look forward to seeing EGGNT in the store!

Ditto.

• 1 month later...

Any update? I'm curious about this set and the Baylor counterpart. 

Any update? I'm curious about this set and the Baylor counterpart. 

Development is underway, but no word on a release date yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2

Personally, I would prefer this series to be in Accordance at a higher priority tha the Baylor. So much so, that I would even say I would happily purchase this series again in Accordance (even though I already own it in print).

Edited by Ιακοβ

I think I'd agree Ιακοβ. I have used volumes from both - EGGNT didn't yet have 2 Cor and Luke when needed last year. EGGNT has Luke now. And neither had Hebrews done. I did a lengthy review comparing the two (it's in the forums somewhere) and I think EGGNT edges out BHGNT but specific volumes will vary. They are very similar and having used two BHGNT volumes in detail now, they're fine. Long's 2 Cor was interesting because it contains a bunch of stuff on discourse and emphasis.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...