Page Turning

D. Cyril Marlatt

I am wondering if iOS could have the same feature that Olive Tree does for turning pages instead of manually scrolling. Olive Tree, like Kindle, has an option to have the pages turn with a tap or swipe. I find scrolling a distraction, especially when I am reading publicly, instead of having the next page start where I left off (like Olive Tree), with iOS I have to pay particular attention to where I stop scrolling, which means I have to stop reading to make certain I can continue where I left off.

Just wondering.

• Like 4

I am wondering if iOS could have the same feature that Olive Tree does for turning pages instead of manually scrolling. Olive Tree, like Kindle, has an option to have the pages turn with a tap or swipe. I find scrolling a distraction, especially when I am reading publicly, instead of having the next page start where I left off (like Olive Tree), with iOS I have to pay particular attention to where I stop scrolling, which means I have to stop reading to make certain I can continue where I left off.

Just wondering.

It's on the future features list and (slowly) moving up in priority with every request. But it won't be in the next release.

Scott.

• 3 months later...

I just want to add my request for page turning too. And potentially justified text (rather than aligned to the left)??

Thanks

• Like 1

I'd like to toss my page turning request into the ring, as well. As a new Mac convert and Accordance user, thanks for an awesome product.

I think it should be an option in the preferences as opposed to one way or another. For private reading, although not in our habit, scrolling actually makes more sense. Turning a page on a screen that isn't actually bound by physical page size, and doesn't actually even have physical pages, is really nothing more than an accommodation of our habits in reading physical books for hundreds of years.

There may be some value in having separate "pages" when speaking in front of an audience as a means of keeping our place.

Yet to sit for an extended length of time, reading an ebook, really doesn't require the horizontal page turn. It just may take us decades to break the habit or at least the desire for the habit.

• Like 4

I definitely agree that it should be instituted as an option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've made this request several times and was pretty much told, in a somewhat dismissive way, that there is no interest in adding this feature. This was quite disappointing to me. I love Accordance, have used it for a LONG time, and have otherwise been really impressed by the customer service and positive response to suggestions. Countless developers use precisely this kind of page turning, and it defies logic as to why Accordance would be so stridently opposed to even considering it as an option in Preferences.

Edited by JeffCheadle
  • Like 1

Jeff, see Scott's comment above; we are by no means "stridently opposed" to this. I am not sure who told you that, but it is incorrect.

For me, ideally it would maintain the option to scroll, as Rick Mansfield mentioned, rather than one or the other.

• Like 1

Scrolling or paging would be a user preference, of course. It's the only way to satisfy both camps.

Scott.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What about combining page turning and scrolling? Instead of the animation of turning a page from right to left, we have one that flips a "leaf" up from the bottom? Or perhaps "scrolls" a whole screen at a time? Or is that just me wanting to be more "authentically first-century"?

• Like 2

I'm with Mansfield on this one. If you can create page turning as an option, without messing up the scrolling as it works now, and if you want to do that, by all means do it. But please do not eliminate or change the scrolling.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My method has been much simpler than what the writer makes of scrolling. I simply touch the bottom of the screen and move my finger to the top of the screen. The point where my finger ends up is the beginning of new text.

But that's only if I'm reading in a "linear" fashion as described in the article. Scrolling is much quicker when scanning content--much like flipping pages in a book, which doesn't work well on page turn reading apps.

Regardless, maybe one day both methods can be an option in Accordance as they are now both available in iBooks on the iPad.

• Like 1

Most of the time, scrolling is the way I want it to work. The only exception is when I'm reading multiple chapters at a time. In that case, tapping or swiping to go to the next page would be marvelous.

• 1 month later...

Page turning did not make it into the next version (1.6) but is still planned for a future release.

Edited by Scott Knapp

That is great news Scott! I also am in favor of the "optional" method.

• 1 month later...

Pagination would be a significant feature for me and it's the main reason I use the iPad version only when necessary. I use my Mac for research but I'd love to use my iPad for more extending reading. A simple tap on the side of the screen when I finish a page would be so much easier (and common with how I read on my Kindle). Personally as little animation as possible would be preferable. Just a simple easy way to move to the next chunk (page) of text without having to track how much I've moved it.

• 4 months later...

What about combining page turning and scrolling? Instead of the animation of turning a page from right to left, we have one that flips a "leaf" up from the bottom? Or perhaps "scrolls" a whole screen at a time? Or is that just me wanting to be more "authentically first-century"?

PLEEEEASE on this feature!!!Accordance must see how to incorporate Tecarta's ZONDERVAN NIV STUDY BIBLE's page turning in study mode and reading mode.Exactly what Tim here is saying! I use the app when I read on the fly. But for serious Bible study, I use Accordance.

• 4 months later...

I love Accordance, but will you please implement page turning as an optional feature in your next iOS release of Accordance?

"It's on the future features list and (slowly) moving up in priority with every request." That was a year and a half ago.

I refer you again to this article on Scrolling versus Pagination.

Thank you.

I love Accordance, but will you please implement page turning as an optional feature in your next iOS release of Accordance?

"It's on the future features list and (slowly) moving up in priority with every request." That was a year and a half ago.

I refer you again to this article on Scrolling versus Pagination.

Thank you.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the request (again). As I mentioned in this post, we've had a couple setbacks this year, but are firmly committed to moving forward with an aggressive development plan for adding new features. We're meeting tomorrow to discuss this.

For what it's worth I'd love this feature, too, and use it regularly in reading Kindle books on my iPhone (where it is more important in my opinion because of the small screen size). I can't promise when it will come (definitely not the next update which is in beta), but we'll definitely discuss it.

Thanks for your patience and support.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...