Marco V. Fabbri

In the language of the Greek syntax module, a circumstantial clause is an Adjunct Clause, and one that is part of a Predicate Phrase, as it is an Adjunct to a Predicate.

A Genitive Absolute, that we have already dealt with, is a kind of circumstantial Clause.

It is also a participial Clause, so that a Genitive Absolute is always a participial circumstantial Clause, even if it is not the only kind of participial circumstantial Clauses. There is also another kind, that consists of conjunctive Participles.

In other words, in circumstantial Clauses, a Participle may be either conjunctive or absolute. That is, it either agrees with the Subject  (whether overt or covert) of the superordinate clause, or it doesn't.

When it doesn't agree, it is found in Genitive: hence the name of Genitive Absolute.

When it agrees, it is found in Nominative, that is, in the same case as the Subject: hence we have a Conjunctive Participle.

As we already know how to search for a Genitive Absolute, we will now search for a Nominative Participle that is the verb of a Circumstantial Clause, that in turn is part of a Predicate Phrase. The steps are as follows:

• Open a new Search Text, choose GNT28-T as search text, and choose to search for Words
  • Go to the upper right of the Window and click + plus twice in order to bring out the Scope of the Search
  • Choose Scope: Chapter or Book (not Verse, etc)
  • Open a new Greek Constuct (Command-2), that will be automatically linked to the Search Text
  • In the Greek Construct window, drag the Phrase element and drop it into the first column
  • When prompted, choose Predicate Phrase
  • Drag the Clause item and drop it into the first column, within the PREDICATE PHRASE
  • When prompted, choose Dependent Clause only and then Adjunct
  • Drag the Verb element and drop it into the first column of the Adjun. DEPENDENT Clause
  • When prompted, choose Mood: participle and then Case: Nominative
  • Press Return, or click on the search button.

The results are as follows:

post-76-0-12344400-1448552917_thumb.png

It is apparent that the search actually finds conjunctive Participles, which are anarthrous, as the two Participles in Matthew 1:19 δίκαιος ὢν καὶ μὴ θέλων. This is what we expected.

The search is now more precise than it was in 2011.

Edited by Marco V. Fabbri
updating to 2015

• 4 years later...

What if you want to search for every participle that precedes an imperative.

If you want to narrow this search down a bit. I've been trying, it doesn't seem to get Matthew 28:19 for some reason.

μαθητεύσατε is the main predicate of this predicate phrase. πορευθέντες precedes it.

This is what I did for the search and some of the results:

post-33565-0-66417500-1448565054_thumb.png

Some of the results are good. But, not getting Matthew 28:19 back for some reason.

Any insight here?

I am afraid that we are hitting same problem that became apparent in Romans 8:10. There is split Adjunct Clause. In Rom 8:10 it was a conditional clause. Here it is a participial clause. Now, the item that splits the clause in two (there it was δέ, here it is οὖν) apparently prevents the search engine from taking into account what comes before the item.

We now have a good bug report to file.

Are you going to do that? Or would you like me to?

I've never done that, but I'm assuming it is easy to do it in the "bug swatter" part of the forum?

Thanks!

The search is working in the beta of Accordance 11.1.2, soon to be released.

It will look this way:

post-76-0-57753100-1449131353_thumb.png

Edited by Marco V. Fabbri

• Dr. Nathan Parker unpinned this topic