Catholic User Bible import problem

LuCouto

Hi,

If I am not mistaken, you cannot use non-KJV versification schemes in user Bibles, as you just found out. As a workaround, you could "blend" additional verses with the previous one (i.e., adding Gen 32:33 at the end of Gen 32:32, all in one single line, and enclosing the reference in square brackets or something like that--[Gen 32:33]-- that way you should be able to spot/find the verse fairly easily after you've built the Bible).

Hope this helps.

Hum... and how do I know which verses do I have to blend ? I'd really prefer have the possibility to add these verses as I have in the NJB version. But thanks anyway ! ;)

Hum... and how do I know which verses do I have to blend ? I'd really prefer have the possibility to add these verses as I have in the NJB version. But thanks anyway ! ;)

First thing that comes to mind is that if you google around you should be able to find lists of verses "omitted" from the Textus Receptus, as well as versification differences between various Bible versions. In the Old Testament, of course, discrepancies occur because some versions follow the LXX versification while others follow the Hebrew Masoretic Text. User Bibles must conform, at least for the time being, to KJV's versification (see this thread: http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1664&view=findpost&p=6077).

Anyway, that would be a good starting point. It's more work, but it can be done.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Edited by Ruben Gomez

Hi,

I'm trying to import a .txt file with a Catholic Bible in French (Bible de J

Thanks for you answer Ramiro! I'll try eSword this weekend and if it's a nice software I'll ask you for your packages! I really don't understand the reason why Accordance Team have put this limitation in User Bible... :huh:

We want the User Bible to align properly once it is in Accordance. It takes a lot of work to do that, and it's too complicated to make most users do that, so we standardize to the KJV. We'll certainly try to improve this in the future, but it is no simple matter as each Bible is different.

We want the User Bible to align properly once it is in Accordance. It takes a lot of work to do that, and it's too complicated to make most users do that, so we standardize to the KJV. We'll certainly try to improve this in the future, but it is no simple matter as each Bible is different.

Hi Helen,

A couple of thoughts. 1) Although I have not done an exhaustive search and comparison, I have compared the verses that break the user Bible import in Accordance agains 4 different Catholic Bibles, I have compared them to my 1976 edition of Biblia de Jerusalen, the Nueva Biblia de Jerusalen, the Dios Habla Hoy (which by the way, is available from one of Accordance's modules), La Biblia Latinoamericana, and all the verses match all Bibles. So although I do believe there are differences in many Bibles, in my experience the most widely used Catholic Bibles in Spanish follow the same versification, and that is probably because the most popular Catholic Bibles follow the LXX versification. And 2) If I am not mistaken, Accordance is basically a very sophisticated database, which means that it stores each verse in a table cell. So what other programs like eSword are doing is that they allow cells to be empty, so for example during the import, the 1st chapter that breaks is Ex. 7 because in the KJV there are only 25 verses, but there's 29 in the Biblia de Jerusalen. So in the case of eSword, they simply import the additional 4 verses and it allows the 4 extra cells to be empty for those Bibles that don't have those verses. See the attached screenshot. The is eSword displaying 4 Bibles in parallel, the 1st column on the left is the Biblia Latinoamericana 1995, the next one to the right is the Biblia de Jerusalen 1976, the next one is Nueva Biblia de Jerusalen 1998, and the last one is the Biblia de Nuestro Pueblo (also knows as Biblia del Peregrino). Notice how the 4th one simply leaves the table cells empty, it doesn't force eSword to accept only 1 versification schema as Accordance does. I don't think it would be extremely difficult to simply allow Accordance to import any Bible and as long as the verses were in sequential order, then simply import each into a subsequent table cell.

Questions, when you say that you want the user Bible to align properly, what do you mean, alight properly to what? or in what sense?

Edit: Here's something quite strange. During the import of my Spanish Bible, I get an error that says that the verse after Judg. 20:23 are out of order, so I look in the text file and sure enough, there's Judg. 20:21, then 20:23, then 20:22, so I check the NRSV in Accordance, and guess what, it has the verses in the same order, 21, 23, 22, so I check the KJVS in Accordance and it also has the verses in the 21, 23, 22 order, however, Accordance won't allow a user Bible with that verse sequence. Go figure.

post-29372-012979600 1320902963_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ramiro

• 2 months later...

To the programmers of Accordance Bible.

Hello,

I also would really appreciate to be able to import Bibles that includes "Apocrypha" (but not Apocrypha for Catholics) like Sirach, and more generally with (slightly) different verse sequence.

And I think it might be the case for many Catholics appreciating Accordance, but has to rely on some other software for some versions of Catholic Bible.

Thanks for your attention.

Jules

• 5 months later...

Helen and Accordance Team,

Just dropping in to see if there has been any progress on this particular feature request. For my part, I have started teaching a course on the Catholic faith in my parish and I would love to be able to use Accordance with my Spanish Bible and other spanish materials for my talk preparations, notes, etc. Hopefully there has, or hopefully there is a plan to make this available soon. Thanx.

Ramiro

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello everyone,

I am trying to locate/purchase the TOB as a file that I can import, does anyone know where I can get/buy this file?

Thank you!

Benoît