Sorting out ὅτι Clauses

Marco V. Fabbri

In Greek, some conjunctions can be used with different kinds of dependent Clauses. This is the case with ὅτι, that is found in Complement, Subject, Appositive, or Adjunct Clauses. An Adjunct Clause introduced by ὅτι is usually a causal Clause.

Thanks to the syntax add-on, we can easily sort out the ὅτι Clauses according to their syntactical function.

We will need to prepare four different searches.

We will search first for Adjunct Clauses introduced by ὅτι. We will proceed as follows:

2. Open a new Search Text, choose GNT-T as search text, and choose to search for Words (not Verses) within every Chapter or Book (not Verse, etc)
  3. Open a new Greek Construct (Command-2), that will be automatically linked to the Search Text
  4. In the Greek Construct window, drag the LEX element and drop it into the first column
  5. When prompted, type or select ὅτι, then click OK or press Return
  6. Drag the element CLAUSE and drop it into the second column
  7. When prompted, choose Dependent clause only, then Adjunct, then click OK or press Return
  8. Drag the element WITHIN and drop it between the LEX element and the Adjun. DEPENDENT element
  9. When prompted, enter 2 (so as to allow for an intervening word), then click OK or press Return
  10. Press Return or click on the Search button to perform the search

The results will look like this:

post-76-080786900 1321352006_thumb.png

We have found Clauses introduced by ὅτι that are Adjunct to the Predicate of the superordinate Clause.

Second, we will search for Complement Clauses introduced by ὅτι. We will modify the existing search as follows:

2. In the Greek Construct window, double-click on the element Adjun. DEPENDENT
  3. When prompted, choose Complement, then click OK or press Return
  4. Press Return or click on the Search button to perform the search

post-76-098666500 1321352030_thumb.png

We have found Clauses introduced by ὅτι that are complement of the Predicate of the superordinate Clause.

Third, we will search for Subject Clauses introduced by ὅτι. We will modify the existing search as follows:

2. In the Greek Construct window, double-click on the element Compl. DEPENDENT
  3. When prompted, choose Subject, then click OK or press Return
  4. Double-click on the element WITHIN and change 2 to 1 (so as to avoid intervening words)
  5. Press Return or click on the Search button to perform the search

post-76-061938500 1321351696_thumb.png

If we examine the results, we will see that we have found some Clauses introduced by ὅτι that are Subject of the superordinate Clause.

For instance, in Matthew 4:6 the ὅτι Clause is the Subject of the passive Verb γέγραπται. What is written? ὅτι τοῖς ἀγγέλοις αὐτοῦ ἐντελεῖται:

post-76-054474300 1321351723_thumb.png

post-76-070138200 1321351755_thumb.png

post-76-041373400 1321351976_thumb.png

• Like 2

I am unable to view the images.

Is it possible that we have not signed in? If I try to view the images without signing in, I get a message that says that it is required.

I am unable to view the images.

I have the same problem and I am signed in.

I am confused, as other people tells me that they can see the attached images. They are png screenshots.

Jonathan, can you see the attachments to the other Guides?

Hi Marco

I too am unable to see your screenshots. I have just tried looking at your earlier posts on this board and I get a permissions error on those as well. I am currently signed in.

I cannot be 100% sure but I think I was able to view them on your earlier posts when they first came out although I can't now.

Regards

Steve

PS. Just trying to help out here - I don't need to see the screenshots - I get confused as soon as someone mentions indicative :blink:

I am confused, as other people tells me that they can see the attached images. They are png screenshots.

Jonathan, can you see the attachments to the other Guides?

I cannot see the images in any of the syntax guides. The images do not appear as thumbnails but rather as links, and clicking on those links takes me to a page reporting a permissions error. I am able to see png files you've added in other threads, such as this one. http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6833&st=0&p=29459&fromsearch=1entry29459

Perhaps we need a forum admin to help us identify this problem?

Jonathan

All right, I am checking right now with the administrator. Thank you for bringing out the problem and helping to define it.

As an administrator, I've looked into it and there was a missing permission for downloading from this forum. Try it now.

As an administrator, I've looked into it and there was a missing permission for downloading from this forum. Try it now.

Fixed! Thanks, Joel.

• 1 year later...

I've been away from the forum for a LONG time. I'm so glad this section is up and running. Thanks!

• 6 months later...

In Greek, some conjunctions can be used with different kinds of dependent Clauses. This is the case with ὅτι, that is found in Complement, Subject, Appositive, or Adjunct Clauses. An Adjunct Clause introduced by ὅτι is usually a causal Clause.

Thanks to the syntax add-on, we can easily sort out the ὅτι Clauses according to their syntactical function.

We will need to prepare four different searches.

We will search first for Adjunct Clauses introduced by ὅτι. We will proceed as follows:

• Open a new Search Text, choose GNT-T as search text, and choose to search for Words (not Verses) within every Chapter or Book (not Verse, etc)
  • Open a new Greek Construct (Command-2), that will be automatically linked to the Search Text
  • In the Greek Construct window, drag the LEX element and drop it into the first column
  • When prompted, type or select ὅτι, then click OK or press Return
  • Drag the element CLAUSE and drop it into the second column
  • When prompted, choose Dependent clause only, then Adjunct, then click OK or press Return
  • Drag the element WITHIN and drop it between the LEX element and the Adjun. DEPENDENT element
  • When prompted, enter 2 (so as to allow for an intervening word), then click OK or press Return
  • Press Return or click on the Search button to perform the search

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifCausal hOTI.PNG

We have found Clauses introduced by ὅτι that are Adjunct to the Predicate of the superordinate Clause.

Second, we will search for Complement Clauses introduced by ὅτι. We will modify the existing search as follows:

• In the Greek Construct window, double-click on the element Adjun. DEPENDENT
  • When prompted, choose Complement, then click OK or press Return

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifComplement hOTI.PNG

We have found Clauses introduced by ὅτι that are complement of the Predicate of the superordinate Clause.

Third, we will search for Subject Clauses introduced by ὅτι. We will modify the existing search as follows:

• In the Greek Construct window, double-click on the element Compl. DEPENDENT
  • When prompted, choose Subject, then click OK or press Return
  • Double-click on the element WITHIN and change 2 to 1 (so as to avoid intervening words)

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifSubject hOTI 1.PNG

If we examine the results, we will see that we have found some Clauses introduced by ὅτι that are Subject of the superordinate Clause.

For instance, in Matthew 4:6 the ὅτι Clause is the Subject of the passive Verb γέγραπται. What is written? ὅτι τοῖς ἀγγέλοις αὐτοῦ ἐντελεῖται: “That he will command to His angels etc.” Mark 2:1, 4:38, 7:6; 11:17, etc., fall into the same pattern.

We also have false hits, as in Matthew 17:10; 26:54 or in Mark 9:11. The reason is that we searched for ὅτι followed by a Subject Clause, and the result shows this. In the three false hits that I have quoted, the search didn't take into account that the Subject Clause is actually the Subject of the Verb δεῖ that follows.

This means that the results of any search like this needs to be interpreted. We still need to assess our search results, in order to see if some unexpected factor contributed to them.

The syntax add-on provides another tool to do this: the tool is the Syntax tree. To open it, we will need to click on the symbol in the upped right corner, as in the picture:

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifSubject hOTI 2.PNG

With the Syntax tree pane open, we can now turn to examine Matthew 17:10, as in the picture:

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifSubject hOTI 3.PNG

If we look at the end of the verse, we notice a speech Clause, that contains what the scribes say. In that Clause, δεῖ is the Predicate, and the subordinate Clause Ἠλίαν… ἐλθεῖν acts as Subject. So, this is the dependent Subject Clause that was found. Even if it follows ὅτι, it doesn’t directly depend on ὅτι.

Matthew 26:54 and Mark 9:11 are similar.

The search may be refined, of course. Even so, it provides the means to speeds up the process of finding the syntactic pattern that we are looking for: it is a heuristic tool.

Fourth, we will search for Appositive Clauses introduced by ὅτι. We will modify the existing search as follows:

• In the Greek Construct window, double-click on the element Subj. DEPENDENT
  • When prompted, choose Appositive, then click OK or press Return
  • Double-click on the element WITHIN and change 2 to 1 (so as to avoid intervening words)

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifAppositive hOTI.PNG

If we examine the results, we will see the Clause ὅτι Ναζωραῖος κληθήσεται acts as Apposition to the Subject Phrase τὸ ῥηθὲν διὰ τῶν προφητῶν (on this Subject Phrase, see the post on Participles in Subject Clauses).

• 3 months later...

This has changed in the November 2013 update.

I have now moved the conjunctions inside the subordinate Clause boundary.

The reasons are several:

1. in this way, the Greek Syntax works in the same way as the Hebrew Syntax;
  2. searches were sometimes counter-intuitive; now they are more intuitive
  3. the old way, under some conditions, some expected results were not shown. Now they are