Handout for Introducing Accordance

Mary Hinkle Shore

I just finished drafting a handout for brand new users of Accordance who are in my Level 1 NT Greek class this semester. I'm going to use this handout in a 90-minute demo the week after Thanksgiving. I thought I would post it here in case anyone else wants to use it. Please let me know if you find things that need correction, too, or if you have other suggestions for making this better.

NOTE on revision:

Someone helped me find a few mistakes (including saying that command + click rather than control + click gets the context menu). The version attached here includes mistakes. Please download the revised version in a post after this one.

Accordance Handout.pdf

Edited by Mary Hinkle Shore
  • Like 3

This is an excellent handout! Thank you for taking the time to share it with others.

This is an excellent handout! Thank you for taking the time to share it with others.

That's great. Thanks for taking the time to make this available.

I just finished drafting a handout for brand new users of Accordance who are in my Level 1 NT Greek class this semester. I'm going to use this handout in a 90-minute demo the week after Thanksgiving. I thought I would post it here in case anyone else wants to use it. Please let me know if you find things that need correction, too, or if you have other suggestions for making this better.

This is great! Thank you.

Here is the revision. I'm posting it as a .pdf. Write me if you want the Pages document. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Accordance Handout

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a very helpful piece of work. Thanks Mary. I do have one correction and a clarification.

Correction:

p. 9, “A downside to unicode is that Microsoft Word 2011 cannot read unicode fonts that are exported to it.”

This is only true of Hebrew (and other right-to-left languages). It handles Unicode polytonic Greek text just fine and has for at least the last 3 major versions. Unfortunately in Accordance one has to pick Unicode or not for *both* Greek and Hebrew. It would make life much easier for Word users if these could be toggled separately, in which case I'd always want Unicode for Greek, but usually not for Hebrew.

See the Unicode for Biblical Studies page on my web site if Unicode is a foreign concept to you.

(BTW, "Unicode" is always capitalized.)

p. 10, “You might choose to export original languages in Accordance fonts. The upside here is that they are generally more beautiful and easy to read than the unicode fonts available when you choose to export Accordance data in unicode.”

A major advantage to using Unicode is that you can change the font to any Unicode font that supports polytonic Greek, e.g., Gentium, SBL Greek, Ezra SIL, Cardo, Minion Pro, Palatino Linotype, Lucida Grande, etc. A number of these could well be described as "beautiful." Accordance's Helena is functional, but it's not particularly attractive or legible when compared with, say, Gentium. (It's a better looking text font than my own, old [now deprecated] Galilee font, but that isn't saying a lot!) An exported file may open in some ugly font like Helvetica or Arial, but it certainly doesn't need to remain in that font.

Edited by Rod Decker

• 6 months later...

This is great. I didn't see this when it was first posted. Thanks for sharing this with the community.

The award winning Accordance Help files are also very handy in getting people up to speed and learning new features. They also serve as a good refresher for seasoned users that may need a quick reminder from time to time.

More information can be found on the website and the forum announcement.

Edited by scriswell

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the handout. I think that actually to use Accordance one needs to take a college/university course on it. I don't know how easy it would be to make the program intuitive.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the handout. I think that actually to use Accordance one needs to take a college/university course on it. I don't know how easy it would be to make the program intuitive.

Try out version 10. Many new interface improvements make the program much more approachable than before, imho.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have updated Prof Hinkle Shore's excellent handout on Accordance 9.5 for version 10, with her permission.

I would welcome your comments and corrections, and anything you think "just has to be in there" before I post it for a wider audience on the Accordance Exchange.

Thanks

Accordance Handout v10 .pdf

• Like 1

Ken,

Just the opening paragraph so far, where you said this was originally written for version 10 and updated for version 10.

I'll let you know if anything else pops out at me.

Hi Ryan,

There's always something dead obvious that you miss. Hope that's my "one"! :-)

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Ken Simpson

• 2 years later...

It appears there is a problem with the download for the "Accordance Hand Out for Beginning Greek Students V11" on the Exchange.  When I tried the download... I got the following error message:

The requested URL/exchange/downloads/documents/Accordance_Handout-Shore-v11.pdf was not found on this server.

Thanks Steve - I’ll have a look.

Fixed - the link was missing a subfolder. Try again.  :ph34r:

Edited by Ken Simpson

Ken,

Thanks for your efforts however I still get the following message: Not Found

The requested URL /exchange/downloads/documents/Accordance_Handout-Shore-v11.pdf was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.22 Server at www.accordancefiles1.com Port 80
I could download Mary Hinkle Shore's handout for Version 10 and also for version 9.5.. Both worked well but not the handout for Beginning Greek Students Version 11.
Is it downloading for you?  

Worked for me.

Thx

D

Ken,

It's working fine now.  I have it downloaded.  Thanks!

Steve

Yep, perfectly. The link comes for me

http://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/downloads/documents/Accordance_Handout-Shore_v11.pdf

Please try refreshing the browser page or using a different browser. I wonder if you are hitting a cached version of the page...

Thanks Ken... I think the problem was as you mentioned... a cached version of the page.  Because the link seems fine now.

εὐχαριστῶ σοι

B)