How to Make Kubo-like List of Vocabulary?

Mary Hinkle Shore

I'd like to produce a list, like those in Kubo's A Reader's Greek-English Lexicon of the NT, where new words in the chapter one is reading are listed in the order they appear in the text, rather than in order by frequency or alphabet. Is this possible in Accordance?

It would be nice to have a pop-up menu item within the search Analysis to sort the search results in a contextual list (i.e., according to a words location in the text, compared other valid hits). Perhaps this is a feature that could be included in the future.

As for now, the way I've done this sort of thing is to create a Gloss note file. I like to get students into the Hebrew text immediately as possible. I've found that a contextual vocabulary building method to be very efficacious in retention and apropos for Second Language Acquisition. Thus, I've done some like the following:

If the student has Accordance, I just share my Gloss file with the student. If she doesn't have Accordance, I print out the text with the note file in a column adjacent to the text. This doesn't completely answer your question, and will require more organization work on your part. For now, this is the only way I can think of to create a list like those in Kubo.

I'd like to produce a list, like those in Kubo's A Reader's Greek-English Lexicon of the NT, where new words in the chapter one is reading are listed in the order they appear in the text, rather than in order by frequency or alphabet. Is this possible in Accordance?

Yes, this is.

I've described how to do this here.

• 1 month later...

Dear James, Your "gloss note file" would be ideal for many classroom settings. But how did you create that so that you could share it? Thanks! Jeremy

Archived