Error in GNT-BYZ at James 2:13

Jonathan C. Borland

Dear Module Correctors,

I just double-checked the 2005 printed edition: The second ελεος (ELEOS) in James 2:13 should actually be ελεον (ELEON).

I wouldn't have said anything except that it's argued in a recent article that the Byzantine ελεον (ELEON) here is so difficult that it could very well be original or at least an itacism of a proposed now-lost original ελεων (ELEWN).

The article is Gerd Mink, "Contamination, Coherence, and Coincidence in Textual Transmission: The Coherence-based Genealogical Method (CBGM) as a Complement and Corrective to Existing Approaches," in Klaus Wachtel and Michael Holmes, eds., The Textual History of the Greek New Testament: Changing Views in Contemporary Research (Atlanta: SBL, 2011), 141-205, 179-181 for the typo in question.

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland

I would just suggest checking with Dr. Maurice Robinson to confirm that what is in the 2005 should in fact be Eleon. I met with him 1.5 years ago and he intimated that he is still updating and making corrections on the print edition from time to time. If contacting him becomes a problem, let me know and I might be able to reach him at the seminary. I'm in Raleigh NC at the moment.

I did get a reply from Dr. Robinson, who said that the second occurrence of ELEOS in James 2:13 should indeed be ELEON. He also mentioned that Accordance should probably get the most updated file from him. I concur, especially since I will be relying on the GNT-BYZ module to provide accurate searches for scholarly purposes!

Jonathan C. Borland

http://tcgnt.blogspot.com/

We have corrected our text already, and will look into getting this update from Dr. Robinson.

Archived