Greek words, Hebrew words

Patrick Gardella

I am getting a warning when starting 9.5.2 on Lion that says "The file 'Greek words' cannot be modified, because write permissions has been denied." "The write permissions for this file may be changed by opening 'Get Info' in the Finder"

Same thing for Greek roots, Hebrew words, Hebrew roots, Biblio info, Biblio formats

I've given the file write permission for everyone, but that doesn't fix it. I also tried deleting and reinstalling those files from 9.5.2

I apologize in advance, because I thought I recalled seeing this mentioned somewhere, but I cant' find it.

patrick

Maybe try setting write permissions specifically for your User profile. The other day my mac wouldn't write to a file even though permissions were set to everybody and when I tried this it worked. Good luck!

Try setting the read/write of the entire Accordance folder and applying to all enclosed items. Usually the issue isn't the file itself, but the folders containing them.

Another thanks to Joel. I'd just used Migration Assistant to move to a new Mac mini and came up with this same error. I thought it was a Migration Asst. problem or something I'd forgot. Joel's solution was a simple fix. Wish I would have thought about checking here first. It would have saved a lot of time and headaches. I would have never thought to change the permissions on the folders.

• 3 months later...

I downloaded the 9.5.7 installer and installed Accordance on my new Macbook. I got the same error and have followed these steps several times. I'm still get the error message. For some reason the installer puts my accordance files file in my Users/My Name/Documents folder. Could that be causing the trouble? The real bummer here is that I can't download any of the updates without this permission. Love accordance and the support and can't wait to get back to using it again ASAP.

Be sure you are doing the trick on the actual Accordance folder, not your Accordance Files. The files folder is supposed to be found in your User's Documents folder. What you want to find is the Accordance folder inside of Application Support. This is probably within your User's Library folder. On Lion, this folder is invisible by default, so hold the Option key and use the Go menu in the Finder to find your Library. Then open Application Support, find the Accordance folder, and fix the permissions as discussed above.

Thanks Joel,

I did go to the wrong spot but when I went to the Application Support file I found that there was no Accordance folder in there. There is a folder called MindVision that has Accordance 9 installer.xtm in it but I'm guessing that's not what we're looking for. I uninstalled/reinstalled Accordance and still no Accordance folder in the Application Support file. Any idea what's up with that?

Did you also look on the Hard Drive/Library/Application support? It has to be in one or the other.

That was it. I had gone to HD/Library/Application Support before but hadn't applied the permission to all the files contained in the folder. Thanks for your patient help. Accordance support (you guys) rule!!

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem, and the recommendation in this thread fixed it. Thanks much!