Cross-highlighting errors

Stuart Robertson

I've run into this a few times already, both in the Old Testament and New Testament and finally decided to document it and report it today. There seem to be some issues with the tagging in the underlying database/s that cause incorrect cross-highlighting (and also analysis reports shown after key searches -- I'll write up the issue with that in a separate post).

The cross-highlighting issue is that the incorrect word is often highlighted (in the "other" texts) when mousing over a word in some "primary" text. For example, in the screenshots below I mouse over words in BHS and show the corresponding highlights in ESV and NASB. See the screenshots for details.

post-31282-0-80640600-1325436963_thumb.png

post-31282-0-53102100-1325436987_thumb.png

I suspect it's due to differences in tagging between the two texts. It would actually be more helpful to send this via email to corrections (at) accordancebible (dot) com so that it gets logged.

• 1 month later...

In this case, where words are repeated in the verse, it is impossible to get Accordance for highlight the correct occurrence each time. Accordance has no way to know if the translation reverses the order.

Ah. I had assumed that the tagging included references to both the original word and its position within a verse. From your reply I guess the tagging info only includes a reference to the original language word (i.e. Strongs #) and not numbering? It might be worth adding additional tagging info in future... thoughts?

This is much more accurate in the MOUNCE-NT, but would be a lot of work to implement in other versions.

Just to add a couple thoughts: when these texts were originally tagged we had not even conceived of the cross-highlighting feature, so simply tagging the word with the Key Number was totally sufficient. Also, words like 'asher' (or particles in general in the OT) are tagged with less frequency and so will be the main culprits of issues like this (and to boot there are not even Strong's numbers for every particle); the NT should be much more accurate. As we continue to improve these texts over time we hope to expand the tagging, but it is a lot of work and we have to prioritize it with other projects.

Archived