Custom URL Scheme

thedalys

Hello,

I am new to iOS and Accordance. I am wondering if it might be possible in some future release to implement a custom URL scheme in the Accordance app so that other Bible apps such as "ReadingPlan" can launch to a specific verse and chapter. This would make it much more seamless to use Accordance as my standard Bible reading and reference app.

Thank you for your consideration,

John

I'm afraid that there is a long wish list that Scott is working through, and I doubt that he could get to this any time soon.

Helen,

Oh drat. I was hoping it might be just a simple change. Oh well, at least I'm on the list now, even if I'm at the bottom. :)

So, one person really does all of the development for the iOS software? Wow. I had no idea. Very impressive!

John

• 11 months later...

So I was planning to make this request today, but found this old thread so I thought I would just revive it. Like the OP, I wold loveto see a custom URL scheme on the iOS app as well. I also use ReadingPlan, which is a fantastic app and full integration would be nice. I'm not sure how much the iOS development list has changed since January when this was first posted, but I hope it's still on the list somewhere.

Thanks again for a great product!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. I would like that too. Same reasons mentioned above.

Any ideas when this will be implemented?

Thanks for your continuing efforts.

Yes. I would like that too. Same reasons mentioned above. Any ideas when this will be implemented? Thanks for your continuing efforts.

Actually…it is already implemented in 1.6. B)

For ReadingPlan here's the URL you need to add:

accord:///ESVi;read=?%@

You can choose the translation of your choice by substituting it for ESVi above (it must match the module name). Or, if you leave it blank it will open your top-level Bible. We've emailed the developer asking that our URL be added to the defaults.

The %@ is added for ReadingPlan support. In other apps you can substitute that portion with a Bible reference such as:

accord:///ESVi;read=?Rom%201.1

We plan to expand upon this in later updates as this is just the beginning stage of support.

Edited by Rick Bennett
  • Like 1

Great

Thanks for adding the Support.

When I enter the URL manually, it opens accordance but not the chapter.

Maybe a future update of biblereader wil make it work.

Sacha

Great Thanks for adding the Support. When I enter the URL manually, it opens accordance but not the chapter. Maybe a future update of biblereader wil make it work. Sacha

That's because I entered the URL wrong. Sorry! And for some reason the forum isn't allowing me to edit my previous post. Here is the appropriate URL to enter:

accord:///;read?ref=%@

The 'ref' portion was missing.

I've been in contact with the developer of ReadingPlan and he is adding our URL scheme into the defaults.

One recommendation: in Accordance > Library > Settings > Text Search Views > set Show Context to 'All'. When ReadingPlan passes a range of verses to Accordance it (currently) clips the verse range and goes only to the first verse. If your context is set to none (the default) it will only show the first verse in the range. The developer is aware of this and said it is because every other app isn't able to handle the ranges properly. He may tweak it for our app, or we may tweak it on our end in the future. But for now this is the best solution.

I've been using ReadingPlan daily, and I love the combo with Accordance. I attempted to use YouVersion last year with a reading plan, but quit because I really wanted to read in Accordance. This is the perfect fit until (or if ever) we expand our own reading plan feature to include advanced options for tracking status, etc.

Edited by Rick Bennett

Hi Rick

Thanks for posting the right URL Scheme. It works now.

I found out that:

• when opening accordance this way, I can't change the bible version.
  • and when I open accordance after my bible reading I have a lot of left arrows to go trough (I'm trying the Homer plan with 10 chapters) before coming back to the normal reading mode.

Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks again for adding the custom URL scheme to 1.6

• Like 1

You can define the version by entering it in the URL:

accord:///NIV11-GK;read?ref=%@

The back arrows are by design. The current implementation 'stacks' this on top of the previous view so you can go back.

That's because I entered the URL wrong. Sorry! And for some reason the forum isn't allowing me to edit my previous post. Here is the appropriate URL to enter:
accord:///;read?ref=%@

The 'ref' portion was missing.

I've been in contact with the developer of ReadingPlan and he is adding our URL scheme into the defaults.

One recommendation: in Accordance > Library > Settings > Text Search Views > set Show Context to 'All'. When ReadingPlan passes a range of verses to Accordance it (currently) clips the verse range and goes only to the first verse. If your context is set to none (the default) it will only show the first verse in the range. The developer is aware of this and said it is because every other app isn't able to handle the ranges properly. He may tweak it for our app, or we may tweak it on our end in the future. But for now this is the best solution.

I've been using ReadingPlan daily, and I love the combo with Accordance. I attempted to use YouVersion last year with a reading plan, but quit because I really wanted to read in Accordance. This is the perfect fit until (or if ever) we expand our own reading plan feature to include advanced options for tracking status, etc.

Great news Rick! Thanks for following up on this. I'm glad to finally be able to use these great apps together more seamlessly. The Accordance iOS app continues to exceed my expectations with every update. I think I'm about to convert people to the desktop version because of the iOS app. ;)

Edited by Nathan Jewett
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to use the URL as a link in a document (sermon notes) to open up to passages? I've not been able to find a way in Pages (iOS or Mac). I've not found a way in any other text editor yet. Does anyone know if this is possible?

It works in Notes; haven't yet tested in other apps.

• 7 months later...

Is there a place to find out the current full range of options and syntax defined and explained for links to Accordance iOS (and/or Accordance Mac)?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

URL Scheme is very useful feature when there is an app which can handle it, such as Drafts or launcher apps.

I tested URL Scheme Rick posted, accord:///[version];read?ref=[reference], and it worked perfectly and was very useful to me.

But if there would be more options, ... it will be awesome!

Here are my suggestions.

1. Word search in Bible Texts

accord:///[version];search?word=[keyword]

e.g.

accord:///KJV;search?word=Spiri* : same as search Spiri* in KJV

accord://KJV;search?word=[KEY H8145] : same as search [KEY H8145] in KJV (of course, [KEY H8145] needs to be URL encoded)

2. Search in Tools

accord:///[module];search?[search_criteria]=[search_word]

eg.

accord:///Anchor;search?entry=Holy%20spirit : searches 'Holy Spirit' entry in Anchor Bible Dictionary

accord:///Hebrew Strong's;search?key=1000 : searches H1000 key in Hebrew Strong's Dictionary

This feature will be very useful and make it easy to access Accordance contents from other apps

and then, there will be a wide range of possibilities which make Accordance iOS more useful to many Accordance iOS users.

Thank you. :)

Edited by hiswork

I would also like to see more info about this feature.

It only works in the iOS version, correct? If I go to URL:

accord:///CEB;read?ref=John%201:1

it does bring Accordance to the front, but it does not open any new windows nor go to that reference.

We've left this mostly undocumented in the iOS app because we haven't fully decided on the feature set and syntax we want to support.

That it does anything in the desktop app is interesting. I put it in there to play with internally and I guess I forgot to take it out.

Thanks, Scott,

I figured as much.

It would open up possibilities.

My Accordance Script Library accomplishes everything on the previous poster's wish list, of course.

But, URLs can make apple event calls (for good reason!). Though scripts can make URL calls of course.

• 2 months later...

Frequently I am linking from my sermon notes in Byword or iA Wrier to passages in Accordance. I really appreciate this feature, and, of course, would like it to be expanded as discussed above.

If possible, another feature that would be handy is this: I'd love to be able to tap on a "return" button in Accordance and have it send me back to the App from which I linked to Accordance.

Thanks for a great App!

John S Gilliom

• 4 months later...

Is there an abbreviation that allows us to link to the NIV-G/K (1984)? I can't seem to find one that works.

Thanks

There is a free upgrade to the NIV-GK, intended to be installed on Windows, but might also solve your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see URI's in Accordance 10.4.3 for the Mac. Are there any plans to standardize the syntax schemes so that the same syntax works on iOS as on the Mac?

Thanks,

John S. Gilliom

Glad to see URI's in Accordance 10.4.3 for the Mac. Are there any plans to standardize the syntax schemes so that the same syntax works on iOS as on the Mac?

Thanks,

John S. Gilliom

Yes.

• Like 1