exiting verse search

metaphrasis

Hello! I am new to the Accordance forums, so please forgive me if this question has been covered recently.

I have a problem that I suspect has a very simple solution, but I am at a loss . . .

In Accordance iOS when I look up a passage, the passage comes up just as it should, but when I want to leave that passage and simply navigate through the same module freely, I can't exit the passage I originally looked up. In other words, I want to exit the "search" mode and just access the module like a book (flipping around from book to book or chapter to chapter employing that rolling scroll bar), but how?

Select Read from the History menu which you reach either with a long tap on the Search button in the Text view, or a short tap on the History button in the Search view, both are in the top left corner.

Actually it's better to stay in Read module and use the GoTo in the bottom right to pull up a specific passage. There are three different types of GoTo, which you can select in the Settings. You can also select Context" All so that your word searches leave the entire text displayed with the hits bookmarked.

Do see the Help pages for the iOS app.

I think this is one area (and the only one area that I can think of) where the latest iOS version's function is not an improvement over the previous one. What used to be a one-click process has now become a multiple click process buried under several layers. All these clicks add up if one is spending a lot of time in Accordance as many of us probably do. I think the old Palm way of counting the number of steps to accomplish a task is always a worthwhile goal to have.

It's one tap to open the Search menu and one on the Read. We have to limit the amount of buttons and information we try to show at once on a iPhone, this was an attempt to do so.

While the reason for hiding the Read option in a menu is understandable, it's obviously not as easy as the previous version. And it's not just two taps; it's either three taps or a tap-hold and second tap. It sounds like a small difference in time/ease but it's less discoverable and feels cumbersome when doing it often.

Squishing the power of Accordance into the screen real estate of mobile devices is not a easy task, and it's great that you haven't sacrificed the power for the sake of a simpler interface. Hopefully, as the app evolves, that won't have to be a choice. Thank you for the continued work on these great tools.

I had been struggling with returning back to the text from searches. This works perfectly for me. it is way easier than the route I was taking. I am loving this latest update and now that I know how to get back, it makes it even sweeter!

I'll chime in here also... It has felt a bit more cumbersome to get back to the reading text after a search. However, this is one of those things that after doing many times you cease to think about, it having become second nature. It would be nice to see a one tap brought back, later.

Still loving the app, though and very grateful for it!

Thank you for the prompt responses and discussion.

Helen, your solution works perfectly fine. I don't consider it cumbersome at all (although I would have NEVER discovered it on my own). Your proposal to stay in read mode is an acceptable alternative, but for my needs it is less practical and furthermore places a sort of artificial (self-imposed) limit on what the amazing Accordance app can do.

Thank you (and all the respondents) again for your help!

I find it quite easy to use and prefer it although perhaps there needs to be more help for new users, ie could the app not tell when someone first uses search and give them a hint about where the box is?

OK, I get all this. But here is my question. If I do a search for say "spirit", and discover it is used in Matthew 12:28 (ESVi). Now what I want to do is read this whole passage. If I do the taps to go back to "read" accordance takes me back to where I last was. How can I read this passage (all of Matthew 12)?

Granted I can go to read and then "GoTo" Matthew 12, but that seems cumbersome. Is there an easier way?

Read does keep the same verse at the top of the view, so if you have Matt 12 at the top you should now be able to read the passage. However, many people find it more useful to set the Context to All (in the Settings) so that when you search you use the triangle buttons to go to the next hit, but always have the entire text viewable in the window. This is my preference, too.

Archived