Photo

Why Buy Graphics Modules When You Can Google Images?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,242 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

I'm late to the conversation, but I rely heavily on the graphic images in Accordance for teaching. The three primary modules I use are the ZIBBCOT/NT, Bible Places, and American Colony photos.

When I can't find the photo in one of these sources, I do a graphics search restricted to captions. From there I might search the captions for all tools. If I still can't find what I need, I look at the resources I have in Logos. As a last resort I go to Google Images, but really by that time, I'm usually not going to find what I'm looking for.

I can say that normally I find what I need in Accordance thanks to the graphics resources available. However, I'm always in favor of adding more if they're released for Accordance. In my mind, I can't have too many.

I've been meaning to do this for weeks, but I just posted a screencast of the steps I just described at my blog. If you're interested, you can watch it at This Lamp, or you can view it here:

http://vimeo.com/35816270

(I recommend viewing it in fullscreen mode)

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

OS X

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Sierra/OS X Server

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sierra

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10

iOS

2016 iPhone 7 Plus - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 10.x

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 10.x

#22 Jeremy Brannon

Jeremy Brannon

• Accordance
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, Family, Small Groups Ministries, Drums
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

Several folks on this thread have commented on Todd Bolen's photos. The aforementioned ZIBBCOT/NT modules rely heavily on Bolen's work, and the image quality is good in those modules. Not only that, but they have a Captions field and scroll with the biblical text.
Jeremy Brannon
Accordance Text Developer
Oaktree Software

#23 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,625 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

I had an interesting experience when using Google to search for images. I wanted to teach on worship, so I searched for an image of "prostrate." I was horrified by what I found! The poor spelling issue aside, I've noticed that several anti-Christian, anti-Semitic or just plain anti-religion groups regularly mark offensive images with religious keywords. Accordance's graphics modules free me from digging through this sort of trash to find appropriate images for my Bible studies.
  • R. Mansfield, Paul Meiklejohn, danieleburrow and 1 other like this

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD,  AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, OSX 10.11, El Capitan

MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD  + 1.5 TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, OSX 10.11, El Capitan

iPhone 6 plus: 64 GB, iOS 9.0.2

#24 Dennis M Callies

Dennis M Callies

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

I am interested to hear the comments regarding Timeline. I find it hard to work with. Perhaps a podcast is in order.
Dennis M Callies

#25 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

I am interested to hear the comments regarding Timeline. I find it hard to work with. Perhaps a podcast is in order.

The Timeline is included in the overview of the graphics DVD in podcast #15.

There are also two videos for the Timeline in the online Training DVD for over 24 minutes of coverage. Even though the training videos use Accordance 7, there's really nothing that's been updated in the Timelines (to my knowledge) that would be different in Accordance 9.x.

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

OS X

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Sierra/OS X Server

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sierra

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10

iOS

2016 iPhone 7 Plus - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 10.x

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 10.x

#26 David Lang

David Lang

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 797 posts
  • Interests:Accordance development, writing, spending time with my wife and five kids

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

When I first started this thread, I promised to give my own answers to the question of why I think these image-heavy resources are better than merely doing Google image searches. Rick's video highlighted several of the reasons I would give: namely, that the images are higher quality, that it is easier to find a relevant image, and that you're not going to stumble across the lewd images which Google seems so prone to deliver (even with strict filtering).

But there is another value to resources like the PhotoGuide which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread: namely, their educational value. Perhaps this just didn't get mentioned because my original question focused on finding "images" rather than on getting information. I hope that's the case and that you all aren't missing out on the real value of these resources. The PhotoGuide, for example, is not just a mere archive of photographs. It's real value is not just in providing you with pictures you can use, but in offering in depth information about the world of the Bible—information which happens to be richly illustrated with pictures.

If it's true that we've failed to communicate the educational value of the PhotoGuide, I'm going to try to correct that with a series of blog posts highlighting some of the information it contains. Here is the first installment. I hope it encourages those of you who have the PhotoGuide to explore it further.
Sincerely,
David Lang
Accordance Developer
http://www.accordancebible.com

Author:
Feet to Follow, Eyes to See
http://feettofollow.wordpress.com

Macs in the Ministry
http://www.macsinministrybook.com

Leader of the "Lang Gang"
http://www.langgangland.com
http://twitter.com/DavidAllenLang

#27 Sean R.

Sean R.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

This is exactly the reason I regularly utilize the PhotoGuide. It's really a Bible locations dictionary illustrated with good quality, decent resolution pictures. As OakTree contemplates development of additional graphics modules, I'd like to see this type of approach. When a picture has reliable, semi-detailed background information, it's very useful to me in Accordance.
Sean Reed

#28 g.nicholson

g.nicholson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

It would be great if the Atlas could be extended to include ALL the Mediterranean coast right round to Spain, [e.g. one cannot display Spain on a map, the Biblical text of Rom 15:24 & 28 notwithstanding. This would, also end up including parts of Europe and Africa, but this would also be very helpful in developing maps for early church history as well.

#29 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 10,140 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

We do not currently have any plans to expand the Atlas reach, sorry! That would be a very major undertaking for limited benefit.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#30 Mark Nigro

Mark Nigro

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Theology, biblical and modern languages, motorcycles, classical guitar, technology

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

I prefer the integration with Accordance, and own the Atlas, Timeline, Photo Guide 3, Sites, C-Quest, Holman Charts, Bible Art, Bar Archive and BP American Colony, all of which get used weekly. I could probably think of other reasons why I prefer the integration, but here are my immediate four:

1. All the graphics are biblically relevant, whereas this is not the case in a Google search. I often have to weed through scores of photos that have nothing to do with biblical content.

2. Graphics in Accordance are tagged and have greatly flexible search criteria, such as limiting the string to a 'caption' only.

3. I never need to worry about inappropriate photos showing up in Accordance, but in Google searches I often find inappropriate photos. Inappropriate can range from merely irrelevant, non-biblical content to outright offensive. Some people put photos on the net with 'religious' key words just to shock people with very irreligious content.

4. I am not always in a wifi accessible area and like to have access to content resident on my MBP in those times.

Mark Nigro

Dean of Students and Director of Operations

Calvary Chapel Bible College
www.calvarychapelbiblecollege.com
http://uthinkology.wordpress.com

---------------------------------------------------

2016 MacBook Pro / 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

OSX Sierra 10.2

iPhone 6S

#31 A.D. Riddle

A.D. Riddle

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:37 AM

Although this is an older discussion, I came across this statement by James Wicker that is directly relevant to David Lang’s original post:

“Accuracy is extremely important in showing Biblical pictures. One can use Internet search engines to find pictures; however, a typical Internet search will give a number of false findings. For instance, searching Google Images for ‘Peter’s house excavations Capernaum’ produces only nine accurate results out of the first twenty. So, unless one has physically been to a site in order to recognize its picture, verifying accurate pictures from an Internet search engine can be a daunting task.”

I just performed the same search in Google, and got 13 correct out of 20 (15/20 if you count those where Peter's house is not the main focus but appears somewhere in the photo). This is better than Wicker's findings, but even then, many may not be able to verify, without some effort, that all of the results are correct. Unless one is familiar with the site, it is not obvious that some of the photos are indeed accurate results.

As others noted, this is THE big advantage of resources such as Accordance’s PhotoGuide and Todd Bolen’s Pictorial Library and Historic Views collections: the content has been selected, labeled, and organized so that users can find relevant and accurate material that they are looking for, without having to sort through misinformation.

A.D. Riddle

The James Wicker quote above is from a review of Pictorial Library of Bible Lands in Southwestern Journal of Theology 56/1 (Fall 2013):131-133.

Edited by A.D. Riddle, 26 November 2016 - 03:40 AM.

• R. Mansfield likes this

#32 Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:32 PM

Here's why I LOVE PhotoGuide, PhotoMuseum, and all of Accordance's graphics tools, and why I alway upgrade to the latest versions, and love to see more.

1. The images are high quality (on Google it's hit and miss).

2. I can LEGALLY use the images in teaching, etc., without worrying about accidentally violating someone's copyrights.

3. The articles in PhotoGuide, etc., are also extremely beneficial. When doing background biblical research, I always read the articles in these and learn something from the articles in addition to seeing all the great pictures.

4. The convenience of searching everything in my Bible software is a huge plus.

5. I can find more images and better images by running Bible software searches than what I could find on Google.

6. I can waste way too many hours in these tools if I'm not careful. :-)

7. They make a fun way to demo Accordance to people interested in purchasing Accordance, and demoing them to my family is a great way to get more gift money from them on holidays to put toward Accordance purchases. :-)

• R. Mansfield, Julia Falling and Daniel Francis like this

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

#33 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 10,140 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:46 PM

Nathan and others: thank you for the good words. A review on the relevant product pages would be seen by many more interested people.

• Julia Falling, Nathan Parker, Daniel Francis and 1 other like this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#34 Rick Ausdahl

Rick Ausdahl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:47 PM

I've used Bible software for several years but am brand new to Accordance (currently playing with the free "Lite" collection) and I'm considering a purchase of the Graphics Pro collection.  But I don't want to make that purchase without having a better understanding of how pictures in the various PhotoGuides and how maps and charts in the Atlas resources (especially Carta Atlas) are integrated in the software with Bible passages.

E.g. when reading Bible passages in Accordance, can pertinent pictures from the PhotoGuides and pertinent maps and charts from the atlases be "easily" located and viewed?  Ideally, I'd like settings that would result in the PhotoGuides and atlases automatically tracking with the Bible passages, providing some kind of links/quick access to the relevant pictures, maps, and charts for the passages.

Whatever the process is, would someone be able to offer some insight into how it works?  I'm also very interested in how well the resources are tagged in the software to ensure relevant pictures, charts, and maps are referenced and not missed.

Thanks!

Edited by Rick Ausdahl, 06 December 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#35 keithp

keithp

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Twitter:kpang808
  • Interests:Jesus, my wife, my dog, ministry, making music

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

One thing to keep in mind is the graphic collections are considered add ons. Which means your best route would be to get Starter which is 59.90 I believe with no discount. Then you can add the graphics package. The awesome thing about Accordance all the features come with the starter which is more than reasonable.

Edited by keithp, 06 December 2016 - 08:06 PM.

• Mark Allison and Michael Hunt like this

Shalom! In Christ, Keith.

#36 Rick Ausdahl

Rick Ausdahl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

One thing to keep in mind is the graphic collections are considered add ons. Which means your best route would be to get Starter which is 59.90 I believe with no discount. Then you can add the graphics package. The awesome thing about Accordance all the features come with the starter which is more than reasonable.

Thanks for the info.  :)   I was wondering about that and was planning to ask someone in sales about it, if after learning more about how the resources were integrated with the software, it seemed like Accordance would be a good fit for my goals.

#37 keithp

keithp

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Twitter:kpang808
  • Interests:Jesus, my wife, my dog, ministry, making music

Posted Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the info.  :)   I was wondering about that and was planning to ask someone in sales about it, if after learning more about how the resources were integrated with the software, it seemed like Accordance would be a good fit for my goals.

I believe there are some podcast found on https://www.accordan...e-Lamp-Podcaststhat can give you better information than I can about how the resources are integrated. The atlas is interactive, so it does not technically scroll with a bible passage. Though if you were to highlight a name of a city, for example, Nazareth and then opening up the Atlas from that selection would take you to that area. Also there are different layers you can turn on and off and animated routes that you can view too. The Atlas is awesome, so are the graphics resources, and Accordance has Carta products so that is pretty sweet too. I hope this helps, and I would be willing to answer any questions I possibly could answer. 

Shalom! In Christ, Keith.

#38 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:iOS

Posted Yesterday, 02:48 PM

Rick, in lite you have a number of samplers (photo guide, atlas and timeline) so you can have a bit of a play to see how they integrate.

In 12 the image tools dont show in the info pane so they dont scroll. If you have images in your other tools (like esv study bible which is dripping with maps and illustrations) then that will scroll so you will see that there is an itemlinked to a package. However, If you have the resource open in a pane, it will scroll and you will see the actual illustration when relevant as in genesis 11 in esv.

However, the image tools will link to bible passages so you can click on the link to see the text from within the image resource. (This is taken from the photoguide sampler for bethlehem, but screen shot of iOS as not using 12 at the moment).

Also included a screen shot from carta sacred bridge so you can see the image and scripture reference.

As to tagging, accordance is on steroids and brilliant. If it can be tagged, it is! And while you may not have images in photoguide scrolling, you can ceratinly search you resources.

;o)

Attached Files

Edited by ukfraser, Yesterday, 03:32 PM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 9x, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for selecting music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#39 Julia Falling

Julia Falling

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted Yesterday, 04:44 PM

Whatever the process is, would someone be able to offer some insight into how it works?  I'm also very interested in how well the resources are tagged in the software to ensure relevant pictures, charts, and maps are referenced and not missed.

Thanks!

Rick – You might want to consider some of the free Webinars.  Here's one on the Timeline.  And one on the Atlas.  There are also archived Webinars.  Another option, to have an in-person demo where you can get your questions answered, is a free Training Seminar.  My husband and I have been to three.  We always learn something new.  As a bonus we get to meet Accordance staff and other users.

Julia Falling

MacBook Air Sierra Acc 12
mid-2013 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)
8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini El Sierra Acc 12
late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)
16 GB RAM; 1.12 TB Fusion Drive

iPad Pro iOS 10
128 GB

iAccord 2.4

iPhone 6s iOS 10

64 GB

iAccord 2.4

#40 Rick Ausdahl

Rick Ausdahl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Today, 06:42 PM

I believe there are some podcast found on https://www.accordan...e-Lamp-Podcaststhat can give you better information than I can about how the resources are integrated. The atlas is interactive, so it does not technically scroll with a bible passage. Though if you were to highlight a name of a city, for example, Nazareth and then opening up the Atlas from that selection would take you to that area. Also there are different layers you can turn on and off and animated routes that you can view too. The Atlas is awesome, so are the graphics resources, and Accordance has Carta products so that is pretty sweet too. I hope this helps, and I would be willing to answer any questions I possibly could answer. 

Thanks!  I'll see what I can find.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

David Voth, Daniel Francis