Desire for good, modern Catholic Resources

Steve Lo Vullo

Hi:

I would like to suggest a few good, current Catholic resources:

1. Ignatius Catholic Study Bible, New Testament. This resource is published by Ignatius Press. The Old Testament is underway, but it would be great to get the NT now.

2. Catholic Bible Dictionary, by Scott Hahn. This is published by Doubleday.

3. Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture, published by Baker.

I beg you to try to get these resources for Accordance. There is a dearth of current, orthodox Catholic resources for Accordance at the time.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. Do others concur with them? We are certainly open to adding more Catholic resources (have tried for years to get the Jerome Commentary), but it's not a field with which we are very familiar.

• Like 1

I have not used these particular works, but would consider them if offered.

I would definitely consider the New Jerome Biblical Commentary.

I would also ask (again) for at least some of the Anchor Yale Bible. It is ecumenical in authorship. A few of the commentaries are classic and would be most welcome: Raymond Brown (John, Johannine letters), Joseph Fitzmyer (Luke, Acts, 1 Corinthians, Philemon).

Thanks!

• Like 4

I agree with Fr. Bolesta. The Anchor Yale volumes he mentions are indeed classics. I would also have to say that, compared to these Anchor Yale volumes, the Catholic Commentaries published by Baker are not very deep. I guess that it depends on the way one uses commentaries.

• Like 3

The Birth of the Messiah and The Death of the Messiah (2 vol.), each by Raymond Brown and published by Anchor Yale provide excellent commentary on the relevant texts for each event. I would purchase these in a heartbeat!

• Like 4

The Birth of the Messiah and The Death of the Messiah (2 vol.), each by Raymond Brown and published by Anchor Yale provide excellent commentary on the relevant texts for each event. I would purchase these in a heartbeat!

What about the titles Steve suggested? Or other 'Catholic' resources? We're still working on Anchor, but would appreciate feedback on the others as Helen mentioned.

• Like 2

I would certainly buy the New Jerome Biblical Commentary if and when it would be available. I appreciate the effort that has gone into trying to get it and wonder why it is so difficult to do so - I know nothing about the difficulties involved! I am also delighted that efforts are being made to acquire Anchor. As for Steve's suggestions, I would certainly be interested in the Ignatius Study Bible and the Catholic Bible Dictionary but do not know the Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture.

However, I can imagine that it must be difficult for the Accordance team in this situation. When there are so many requests, can they actually afford (both in terms of time, effort and actual sales) to offer something that maybe only a small number of users would purchase. I am glad I am not part of the decision making!

Thanks,

Kevin.

• Like 1

I would certainly buy the New Jerome Biblical Commentary if and when it would be available. I appreciate the effort that has gone into trying to get it and wonder why it is so difficult to do so - I know nothing about the difficulties involved! I am also delighted that efforts are being made to acquire Anchor. As for Steve's suggestions, I would certainly be interested in the Ignatius Study Bible and the Catholic Bible Dictionary but do not know the Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture.

However, I can imagine that it must be difficult for the Accordance team in this situation. When there are so many requests, can they actually afford (both in terms of time, effort and actual sales) to offer something that maybe only a small number of users would purchase. I am glad I am not part of the decision making!

Thanks,

Kevin.

I sometimes don't understand why it's so difficult to get titles as well, so don't feel bad. :) But, there are a lot of layers in the process, multiple parties, hounding people for return emails and phone calls, negotiating terms, etc. Sometimes different portions of works are copyrighted by different entities; sometimes e-texts are not even the property of the copyright holders; sometimes e-texts don't exist, or were lost, or created by people that no longer work for the publisher and didn't really know what they were doing in the first place making it impossible to export and work with. And the saga goes on. But, despite all this we're committed to working hard at bringing the best titles to Accordance (and speaking of which, we've got some great stuff in store in the near future).

Thanks for the feedback on these Catholic resources :)

Edited by Rick Bennett

I will second the request for Brown's Death of the Messiah and Birth of the Messiah.

Another desirable offering from the Anchor Yale Bible Reference series would be John P Meier's Marginal Jew. These are by Catholic authors, but well respected, top-notch scholars, well regarded beyond confessional boundaries.

• Like 3

I agree with Fr. Bolesta. The Anchor Yale volumes he mentions are indeed classics. I would also have to say that, compared to these Anchor Yale volumes, the Catholic Commentaries published by Baker are not very deep. I guess that it depends on the way one uses commentaries.

If by "deep" you mean "historical-critical," then, true, they are not deep. In that case, we would have to say that the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture is also not "deep." But neither are intended as historical-critical works. The volumes in the Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture are meant to be exegetical/applicational and to be aids in homily and Bible study preparation for Catholic clergy and laity. I, too, would love to have the Anchor commentaries for Accordance, but they do not exhaust the universe of commentaries that are useful for personal study and public proclamation. Here's what Baker says about the series:

"The Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture (CCSS) responds to the desire of Catholics to study the Bible in depth and in a way that integrates Scripture with Catholic doctrine, worship, and daily life. The series will include seventeen volumes, offering readable, informative commentary on each book of the New Testament. The CCSS implements the theological principles taught by Vatican II for interpreting Scripture "in accord with the same Spirit by which it was written"--that is, interpreting Scripture in its canonical context and in the light of Catholic tradition and the analogy of faith (Dei Verbum 12).

"The CCSS is packed with features designed to help readers use the Bible more effectively in teaching, preaching, evangelization, and other forms of ministry. Each volume provides exegesis as well as reflection and application sections. A set of cross-references links each passage to the Catechism, the Lectionary, and related biblical texts. Sidebars present information on the background of the text and on how the text has been interpreted by the Church. Abundant quotations from saints and Church Fathers enable readers to glimpse the continuity of Catholic tradition. Each volume includes a Glossary, a list of Suggested Resources, an Index of Pastoral Topics, and an Index of Sidebars. Further resources are posted at the series Web site, www.CatholicScriptureCommentary.com."

• Like 1

I will second the request for Brown's Death of the Messiah and Birth of the Messiah.

Another desirable offering from the Anchor Yale Bible Reference series would be John P Meier's Marginal Jew. These are by Catholic authors, but well respected, top-notch scholars, well regarded beyond confessional boundaries.

Yes, the volumes are specifically Catholic, but that is what I was originally asking for. That was the whole point of my request. Not that I have no use for non-Catholic works. I have many commentary series from a variety of perspectives. But I also like to have resources that are specifically Catholic, in order to study, meditate, and share "in the light of Catholic tradition and the analogy of faith." So with that in mind, I'm not so concerned with whether these volumes are "well regarded beyond confessional boundaries." But these commentaries have been endorsed by a number of top-notch scholars, both Catholic and non-Catholic, such as Luke Timothy Johnson, Peter H. Davids, and Raymond F. Collins.

Thanks,

Kevin.

You're right, Kevin. It's hard to know how many people would purchase these volumes and whether it would be worth the effort on the part of Accordance to offer them. I did notice, however, that Logos offers the series, so it seems that they must have had some reason to believe that they would sell. Hopefully there will be similar interest on the part of Accordance users.

I would certainly buy these. We need more Catholic, Anglican, Orthodox resources badly.

Yes, Logos has many of these titles. If you look at their Catholic Collection, it's a decent list and, to my understanding is selling well for them.

Problem is the software does not work well IMHO.

Would gladly replace every Catholic, Anglican, Orthodox resource I have in Logos with the same ones in Accordance if they were available.

Would/will sell Logos when this platform can meet my needs.

The ONLY reason I own Logos is because I cannot get anything much in Accordance that meets my study/teaching needs in these areas. Thus sadly, I must own two platforms: One that works incredibly well yet is extremely poor in resources in these areas, one that has great resources but works extremely poorly.

Accordance is, hands down, the very best Biblical Software available , it's just too limited in Theological Resources.

Count me in on buying these resources if available , would even put up deposits to show intent.

Thanks,

Grace and Peace,

Rusty+

I would like to thank to Steve for his initial request and, if I may do so, to thank Helen, Michael, Fr Rich and Fr. Rusty for their positive contributions. (Thanks Rick for explaining some of the difficulties involved in getting titles!)

I found Steve's comments about what we mean by "deep" interesting and helpful. I am also grateful for the information on CCSS.

Kevin.

This has been an interesting discussion. It mirrors discussions in other parts of the forum. In one of his podcasts, Dr. Timothy Jenney compared and contrasted some of the currently available commentaries in Accordance, and that is helpful. Some commentaries are suited for devotional reading of Scripture. Others aid preachers and teachers. Others are scholarly with more emphasis on exegesis than application. It is not a matter of "right" or "wrong." Any of them can be "deep." Part of the beauty of Accordance's offerings is the broad assortment, so that user's can choose tools appropriate to each. Not that any of us are satisfied yet... ;) Keep those titles coming!

I second the call for all the individual titles mentioned in this thread, and for more Catholic resources in general. I've actually had to consider an, er, alternative product line in order to have many of the titles listed above, and others, in electronic form, but would greatly prefer to have them in Accordance.

I think the position of Accordance (and other Bible software vendors) vis a vis Catholic resources is a bit of a catch-22: if they were available, I and I'm sure other Catholics and some non-Catholics would buy them; but it seems vendors are reluctant to offer resources for what is perceived to be a limited market. Couldn't Accordance solicit expressions of interest in purchasing various titles (Catholic or otherwise) in a more methodical way, a la an, er, alternative product line?

• Like 1

The forum has been a place to express interest in titles and tools. It is a bit loose. People post and others chime in. Then titles sit for awhile (recognizing that it takes time for procuring the e-text, tagging it, refining it, etc.) The process can take years. I know Accordance folks are reading the posts. Hopefully it helps guide them (I think it does). It is an imperfect and unscientific endeavor. Some proposals get much support, others more modest. But this is subject to who reads the posts and chooses to respond (bias). Does the squeaky wheel get the grease?

For all the limitations, the forum seems to be the best way for users to let the Accordance developers what we want.

I also agree that many of the resources suggested above will appeal to Christians of many confessional backgrounds.

Others are pretty specific. For example, I will echo a request voiced in another thread: please update the Order of the Mass (a module in the Catholic Collection) to reflect the new English translation of the third typical edition of the Roman Missal.

I would also ask: is there any interest in the Roman Missal as an Accordance module?

Others are pretty specific. For example, I will echo a request voiced in another thread: please update the Order of the Mass (a module in the Catholic Collection) to reflect the new English translation of the third typical edition of the Roman Missal.

I would also ask: is there any interest in the Roman Missal as an Accordance module?

I would definitely like to have both items.

quote"I would also ask: is there any interest in the Roman Missal as an Accordance module? " end quote

Yes and Yes.

Personally would like to see as many Liturgical Resources as possible.

My resigning is simple: One cannot truly study the history of the Church apart from the study of her Worship, thus, the study of Liturgical Works, Liturgics, Prayers , Forms, Rubrics and so forth.

The Church is Liturgical , no matter if it is a Baptist Service, Pentecostal, Church of Christ or High Pontifical Mass, The Church does Liturgy. Even when trying hard to be "non-liturgical" , this too becomes a liturgy of some type complete with rubrics after a time.

So Yes on my part to the New Missal and yes to the study of them all.

All Roman Missals

Book of Common Prayer 1549-79

The Divine Liturgy of Saint Chrysostom

Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist etc.

Ok, probably said too much-smile.

I just agree, we need more of all these "type" of resources, we all need to be able to access them, be broadened by them, to see and know how wide, deep and rich the Church is.

As for the market as someone mentioned, well, it's simply in the billions when you consider there is no one tending to the study needs ( electronically ) of the Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Anglicans Lutherans etc.

In a way ( please do not misunderstand ) , because of how software for Biblical Studies has come about, the result is a "kind" of unintended censorship, by that I mean, most people buying Biblical Study Software get exposed to a fairly narrow set of disciplines for Biblical interpretation. This statement is not made with any criticism , but from observance and that, as it relates to markets and marketability of Accordance.

If Accordance picks up many of the Titles, Liturgies and libraries in these disciplines within the Church, the market will explode imho.

Accordance is simply the finest Software, no one compares and, if the Titles were there, the market would shift.

I say that owning a lot of software, only one works well, only one is efficient -Accordance

Blessings all.

Rusty+

• Like 1

I'm not Catholic (I think I would fall under the Vatican II classification of "separated brethren" :) ), but I would love to have the entire Anchor Bible series as well as the Birth/Death volumes by Brown. I've put the print copies of these to good use many, many times.

• Like 1

Another suggestion. Brendan Byrne, SJ has written a theological commentary on the Gospel According to Mark that I have found very interesting. It is: A Costly Freedom and is published by Liturgical Press in Collegeville, Minn. Indeed, Liturgical Press is a great source for Catholic resources.

OK - gotta go to work now.

• Like 1

Sacra Pagina (New Testament) and Berit Olam (Old Testament) commentary series published by the Liturgical Press are worth considering. Though Catholic, they are mainstream and solid academically but accessible (at least the 4 volumes in Sacra Pagina on the Gospels, the works I have used most often.

• Like 1

Hi:

I would like to suggest a few good, current Catholic resources:

1. Ignatius Catholic Study Bible, New Testament. This resource is published by Ignatius Press. The Old Testament is underway, but it would be great to get the NT now.

2. Catholic Bible Dictionary, by Scott Hahn. This is published by Doubleday.

3. Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture, published by Baker.

I beg you to try to get these resources for Accordance. There is a dearth of current, orthodox Catholic resources for Accordance at the time.

Thanks

I forgot to mention that all of these resources have e-texts. I have the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament and several volumes of the Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture for my Kindle apps. They also have the Catholic Bible Dictionary, but I tried the sample and it was just too hard to navigate to be of any real use. Anyway, hope you can get them.

• Like 1

I wrote to Ignatius Press quite some time ago telling them about Accordance (though I am fairly sure they would have known about it anyway!) but I did not get a response I am afraid.

Kevin.

I am grateful that Accordance makes the documents of the Councils of Trent, Vatican I, and Vatican II, as well as the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Canon Law, and Summa Theologica, searchable. Since Order of the Mass is included among the Catholic modules, Accordance would do well to keep current there with Catholic practice. Regarding bible study, scholarship is scholarship. I am appreciative whenever any offering notes also from which "school" it arises. To supplement the Catholic Collection I suggest Catholic documents as can be found in The Enchiridion Biblicum of www.catholicscripture.net/enchiridion/index.html.

• Like 1