Desire for good, modern Catholic Resources

Steve Lo Vullo

I'd like to add my support for more Catholic reference materials and resources. I have been currently considering purchasing Logos, exactly for the reasons Fr. Rusty states, namely, the limited amount of Catholic materials there are, however, I am torn because Accordance is the best tool out there on the Mac. I am also very hesitant to invest in Logos because there is no certainty that I'll be able to import my Spanish Bibles (sorry to keep bringing this up), so right now I have been using eSword through Crossover on my iMac when I need to do Bible study in spanish or to prepare a talk for church, and it's a pain to have to use 2 different systems.

If I may also suggest, a wonderful Catholic theologian of our time is Fr. William Most, and the complete set of his works are readily available here: http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/most/browse.cfm

I'd like to request if accordance can ask if Fr. Most's works can be made available in Accordance. I contacted them as asked if they can be made available in HTML format so I can import them into Accordance, but they said that that was not available.

I know that on the economics side of things, making Spanish resources available in Accordance may not yield a good profit for accordance if the market is not there, but if other Bibles, comentaries, dictionaries, and other types of Catholic resources in Spanish could be made available, I think this will only be a growing market. I'd be happy to help out in this regards if translation/communication with Spanish publishing houses is needed.

• Like 3

FWIW. Not knowing much about the staff at Accordance other than the few I have spoken with or gotten excellent help from ( Thank you again and always Helen) I might mention that it seems Logos added a Catholic Academic to their staff to help them with what resources to try and get and to help with getting same.

Perhaps Accordance could do likewise or have a consultant in these areas. There are just so many wonderful Roman and Orthodox catholic resources available for Everyones study.( As well as Anglican, Lutheran etc.) I am being 100% honest when I say: I really hate to see Accordance miss out in these resources and customer base. I am absolutely correct in saying that people are studying a much wider range of materials than perhaps ever before. Lay Protestants are studying the Fathers and Contemplatives, Catholics are studying resources usually constrained to Protestants. People are simply reading and studying wider than before. Etexts , digital libraries, handheld devices are part of it, but mostly I think the denominational lines of demarcation in reading and study are dissolving . Some of this may well be the results of so much common work between denominations on social issues, but no matter the reason, the fact is, people are reading and studying a wider range of materials. Accordance is by far the fastest, smoothest and most powerful Biblical Software on the market. It's only weakness is in resources that span the rest of the Christian experience and history. Which is a huge demographic. I hope Accordance can get proactive in that area, the market is there, been there for a long, long time. Blessings all.

• Like 3

Fr. Rusty makes some excellent points. To add a couple of thoughts to Fr. Rusty's. If there isn't an appropriate amount of people and other resources to significantly expand the resources availabe in Accordance, both, from different faiths and different languages, I think it will only help to capture more of the market if Accordance were made to be able to import user Bibles easily. I know Accordance staff must really hate me for continuing to bring this up, but consider the following: The reason that the resources available for eSword is so vast is because it's rather easy to import Bibles into it. Now there is another program, The Word, and 95% of the modules in eSword can be easily converted and imported into it. And both of these programs, and the vast majority of resources for both of these programs is free. Now I am not knowledgeable enough to know why making resources on these programs seems to be so simple and not so simple in Accordance, but if the ability to import user Bibles were made available and easy to do in Accordance, that is huge potential market. Again, because Accordance, even with it's free basic set of resources is fantastic, and it's capabilities go without saying, is much better than either of these 2 programs.

I really hope that Accordance would consider the above inputs and include them in future version or updates.

Edited by Ramiro
  • Like 1

We've definitely been reading these posts, and will continue to try and seek out these resources. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 4

New Interpreter's Bible is not primarily catholic but it does have numerous catholic contributors and the complete catholic cannon covered. And Accordance is working on getting the NIB… SOON I HOPE!!!

-Dan

Thanks Rick: We know you try and you folks get bombarded with requests for resources.

I think everyone appreciates how hard Accordance staff works for it's customers.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I would definitely purchase these resources as well. Especially the Ignatius Study Bible and the Revised Standard Version Second Catholic Edition.

Also, Raymond Brown's Introduction to the New Testament is considered by many to be the best there is.

In general, Ignatius Press has many resources I would love to see in Accordance.

--

Brett

• Like 1

The New Collegville Bible commentary might be nice the New Testament is done, and the OT is well underway. It is a brief butt excellent series. In the same depth as a standard 2 volume commentary. http://www.litpress.org/Series.aspx?ID=80 is the home page for it. I believe it is going to be complete by early 2013.

-dan

I am delighted with all the above posts and would be happy to purchase the suggested works. Thank you to all those who have contributed. Like others, I am also aware of the enormous pressure the Accordance team have been under (especially recently) and of course the work goes on; but I just wanted to add my support to the requests being made.

Thank you.

Kevin.

• 4 months later...

I want to drop a line to support the request for more Catholic resources. Accordance is by far the best bible software in the market but Catholic Resources is certainly lacking. I don't think the question is if Accordance will make money from additional Catholic resources, the question is if Accordance can go about it in a smart way. In that sense, the recommendation to hire a consultant/academic to focus in Catholic resources and market strategy is key for any opportunity to build a strong platform. Also, the fact that some competitors are dropping advertising dollars in Catholic radio stations/programs is increasing awareness of the existance/value of bible software...Accordance can benefit from this without the need to spend marketing in building awareness.

I will also add that there have to be numerous traditional catholic resources in public domain, many of them with etext; I don't think it would take that much royalty fees to get access to those documents and increase the critical mass of catholic offerings.

Thanks for the hard work

• 3 weeks later...

For me it would be very useful to have "Understanding Scripture" by Scott Hahn available. But I haven't found any electronic version of that book listed, so I guess it might be difficult.(?)

Logos has several of Scott Hahn's works on pre pub. but not Understanding Scripture.

-Dan

I personally would love to see more Catholic material in Accordance. I would be very interested in purchasing them.

Blessings and Peace,

Tim

It would be nice to see the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition added. I would definitely like to have it in Accordance.

Peace and Blessings,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention that all of these resources have e-texts. I have the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament and several volumes of the Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture for my Kindle apps. They also have the Catholic Bible Dictionary, but I tried the sample and it was just too hard to navigate to be of any real use. Anyway, hope you can get them.

How does the Ignatius Study Bible NT compare to the Catholic Study Bible found in Accordance?

You can put me down for the following:

New Jerome Biblical Commentary

The Grail Psalter 1963

The Liturgy of the Hours

The Spirit of the Liturgy

rari

You can put me down for the following:

New Jerome Biblical Commentary

The Grail Psalter 1963

The Liturgy of the Hours

The Spirit of the Liturgy

rari

These are all good. Note that The Liturgy of the Hours is currently being revised. While I would like it in Accordance, I for one would like the upcoming revision (a few years hence).

How about Reading the Old Testament, Second Edition by Lawrence Boadt, CSP. The second edition has been revised and updated by Richard Clifford, SJ and Daniel Harrington, SJ. The publisher is Paulist Press.

1+

Still think the New Interpreter's Bible will be an excellent resource for all… ecumenical but covering the full catholic canon, with many catholic contributors.

-Dan

PS:My apologies for my anxious restatement of my desire to have this fine work in Accordance.

• 2 weeks later...

I too would love to have the Grail Psalter and The Liturgy of the Hours. It would also be nice to have the daily readings for mass.

--
Brett

Brett,

While you are waiting you might be interested in the RC Breviary/Prayer of the Church in www. universalis.com (I did not know how to make that into a link for you.) It does have the 'old' version of the Grail Psalms. For the other Scripture readings, I use the Jerusalem Bible version; I think there is the possibility of the RSV but I am not sure if there is an American Bible version. There is a new and revised version of the Grail Psalms (see www.giamusic.com/sacred_music/RGP/) but I do not know if they would be willing to release the etext (if that is what it is called!). In fairness to the Accordance team, who already trying to prepare so many new resources, I cannot imagine there would be enough of us wanting the Grail Psalms to make it their worth while! I do have the 'old' version as a User Tool but I do not think I am allowed to share it on Accordance Exchange; I shall check it with Ken.

I do hope this might help yourself and others who might be interested.

Kevin.

Kevin.

• 1 month later...

I'm not Catholic (I think I would fall under the Vatican II classification of "separated brethren" :) ), but I would love to have the entire Anchor Bible series as well as the Birth/Death volumes by Brown. I've put the print copies of these to good use many, many times.

I will again bump up the request for these magisterial works by Raymond Brown, The Birth of the Messiah and The Death of the Messiah. Thanks!

• Like 1

Very good thing to bump I might not want everything that comes out in the Catholic field but I would be definitely interested in many of them. and Like I said earlier the New Collegeville Series would be great to see. And I would think it would inexpensive enough/useful enough to be an attractive purchase for most users.

-dan

• 11 months later...

I will second the request for Brown's Death of the Messiah and Birth of the Messiah.

Another desirable offering from the Anchor Yale Bible Reference series would be John P Meier's Marginal Jew. These are by Catholic authors, but well respected, top-notch scholars, well regarded beyond confessional boundaries.

I want to resurrect the request for these titles. Accordance already has Charlesworth's Pseudepigrapha from the Anchor Yale Bible Reference series. The volumes by Brown and Meier would be outstanding additions.

• Like 1