Desire for good, modern Catholic Resources

Steve Lo Vullo

So many works with too few labouring aaa to get them into our hands I am afraid. Although I couldn't possibly afford to get everything I want if they all agically appeared on Accordance tomorrow.

-Dan

So many works with too few labouring aaa to get them into our hands I am afraid. Although I couldn't possibly afford to get everything I want if they all agically appeared on Accordance tomorrow.

-Dan

True. And no time to use them all.

I want to resurrect the request for these titles. Accordance already has Charlesworth's Pseudepigrapha from the Anchor Yale Bible Reference series. The volumes by Brown and Meier would be outstanding additions.

+1

I'm not Catholic (I think I would fall under the Vatican II classification of "separated brethren" :) ), but I would love to have the entire Anchor Bible series as well as the Birth/Death volumes by Brown. I've put the print copies of these to good use many, many times.

Even though the thread is styled "Catholic Resources," the works of Brown and Meier are not bound to that tradition alone. Both are scholars of ecumenical sensitivity and scholarly integrity.

Other volumes in the Anchor Yale Bible Reference series are worth consideration as Accordance module, as Rick suggests.

• Like 1

In fairness to the Accordance team, who already trying to prepare so many new resources, I cannot imagine there would be enough of us wanting the Grail Psalms to make it their worth while! I do have the 'old' version as a User Tool but I do not think I am allowed to share it on Accordance Exchange; I shall check it with Ken.

Just noticed you taking my name in vain here Kevin, I don't remember if you ever checked with me about the grail psalms. Did you? What did I say?

Anyway we can look at it as a user tool if you want (user bible)

Edited by Ken Simpson

• 1 month later...

Well, I got an answer on the Grail Psalms from the Grail Society (well their publishing agents anyway).

Their answer was "[we are] not able to grant permission as it would conflict with commercial licences that are in place."

So sorry, no Grail Psalms, neither the 2010 nor the 1963 ones.

Edited by Ken Simpson

That is a very disappointing turn of events. I have it on pre order from another company but I am very disappointed that they somehow managed to gain rights for it and possibly blocking others. I have known software companies to get exclusive digital rights in the past but in this day in age that feels like saying, 'We only sell through this store'.... only it is worse since we cannot go buy it at that store and read it in this Library. But I suppose it is too much to ask for a universal format that works on all platforms, oh for that magical day I could use all my resources in Accordance.

-Dan

Yes it is disappointing Dan, but to be fair, I did not approach them about a commercial licence, I only asked about free distribution through the exchange. I don't have the authority to ask about a commercial licence, but if you make enough noise it might be looked into. That all happens out of the US and I am a long way from there!

Anyway, just thought I would set the record straight :)

• Like 1

Well that is good to know....so little is offered for free distribution even though at times it would seem to be a Christian thing to do....

-Dan

PS:Even though I complained about the 10 upgrade price since I already owned the resources coming free, I will say Accordance does a great service by offering $400 of print Value (including many modern resources like ESV Strong's, Eerdmans Dictionary, and IVP New Bible Commentary). For $49. Accordance gives anyone a good start at an exceptionally affordable value. I see other people in the other forums stating how much they would like to be using the software but they can't afford their starter package. But I was not not going to say in their forum you should go over to Accordance.

Edited by Dan Francis

That's so true Dan. On both counts. I don't know how we afford to do it to be frank, but that's not my area either. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

'The Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture" published by Baker Academic would be a very useful addition. There are eighteen volumes currently with the rest on the NT in the pipe line. It is not as academic as some, but well cross-references including CCC and very useful for homilies/bible studies and the like. Digital editions are available elsewhere.

Plus 'Sacra Pagina", a complete set of NT commentaries.

Edited by David Miller