Translation of fourty in ex 34.28

fmcfee

I am "learning" Hebrew (I will always be a very beginner because of my lack of memorization skills) via Pratico & Van Pelt "Basics of Biblical Hebrew"...and I am working on cardinal numbers...one of the exercises is Ex 34:28...the instant details box show "four" as the translation ...while the translation uses "forty"...what am I missing...I attaching a screen shot for reference...Thanks for your help..

Frank

I do not see the screenshot and I am not sure how to get to it again...but I did use a command to attach it..

The "Gloss" shown in the Instant Details is simply the basic meaning of the original word, not the translation of this specific form in this context. Since ʾarbāʿı̂m is derived from ʾarbā which means "four", that is the basic meaning given here.

The "Gloss" shown in the Instant Details is simply the basic meaning of the original word, not the translation of this specific form in this context. Since ʾarbāʿı̂m is derived from ʾarbā which means "four", that is the basic meaning given here.

Helen,

Thank you for your help...I "missed" that it was a plural an thus meant 40......

Frank

Archived