markusvonkaenel

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:46 PM

Looking a bit deeper at their offer, I'm asking myself is it really worth to abandon Accordance because they are not offering more German tagged bible text, I would like to see eg Schlachter2000 with tagging. To be honest, for me I see no reason to change to Logos.

Like Accordance they offer mainly works in English and to buy again the same in Logos is a waste of money. And a lot of scientific works are only available in English. The same here and there with a similar price tag.

I have also to say, I read mainly Hebrew, prefer rabbinical stuff over other things so I'm no longer dependent on bible translations and the offerings of Logos or Accordance. Most of the commentaries, like Rashi, Rambam I do not expect to see in Accordance, here I have to go Bar Illan Responsa and Serfaria resp. real books. In Israel, fortunately, still a preferred method to learn and read. 

So what could be the recommendation of us German speakers to Accordance be, to give them a hint, how they could to survive in German speaking Europe?

Probably also a German speaking responsible Person here in Europe?

Edited by markusvonkaenel, 06 December 2018 - 02:48 PM.

#22 Unix

Unix

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Twitter:mcyklist
  • Location:EU. Inter/multidisciplinary humanities such as History of Ideas; singing; both Reformed and Catholic simultaneously which is possible only under SOME circumstances
  • Interests:Accordance 12.3.3 will be really GREAT, I have the license and used 12.x during 2018 on the desktop but on laptops I've been sticking mainly to 11.2.5 instead (which is the version number I've used the least so far at this moment March 5. 2019) - I have 11 now on the on one laptop, the new one, as it uses slightly less battery and can load all my purchases. 11.x had a great Info Pane, it was possible to choose what parts of Collections to download, great settings menus for text preferences, good library sorting and Research. Current Accordance spend about $125 a Month, used to be over twice as high during the End of Summer, Autumn &Winter 2018/2019
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:34 PM

Any of the following with an etext and/or an Accordance rep working from Germany/Austria:
Some ECF partial, well selected compromise, to scroll along English and Latin. IF there's no Latin currently under Accordance produce that too, any Edition

Brief Latin-German key just for commonly misunderstood words prone to otherwise enter hastily written papers
Some German Bible in print similar to the 1985 New Jerusalem Bible (whole) and Revised New Jerusalem Bible just New Testament portion (I won't use the OT of it), without notes. Is it also used by Protestants or will be if it would be one of the few or only recent German Bible with both OT and NT? I must apologise but I've read the Bible only in English for fifteen Years and am now at loss about pros and cons about different German Bible versions

Bauer Koiné Gk-German lexicon from etext with tagging added
A condensed Theological Hebrew-German dictionary whether transliterations or non-
Catholic Cathecism in German
A monograph that has Luther's moral standards, in German, deeper than populistic, if there's one from early 20th century just before or after WWI.
A German Bible dictionary.

Would this above be well prioritised? Later when a German language academic groundbreaking monograph comes out, if it's under a publisher with which Accordance has relationships and a voting system here on the forums or by email to German Accordance users lifts it to awareness levels, it should get produced here:

So what could be the recommendation of us German speakers to Accordance be, to give them a hint, how they could to survive in German speaking Europe?

March. 4. 2019: Not room for constantly carrying each device for without hole-damage to bag or indexcards to carry tablet or all cell phones. I.e. desk phone guy and laptop "gymnast". FB (always scroll down enough and remember my actual positions are not stated with precision but civil status is at all times correct:https://www.facebook...100009160762403 ...add me there for photos, perhaps mention on Messenger it was from the link here so that You qualify. If You ever actually confirm Your interest or tell me to call back, do so by sending a brief SMS who You are thank You (the latter is they key for how You with foresight confirm to me that You are mine! And find me on Insta!

My new group welcomes contributions and constructive criticism of and listing of commentaries, please ask to join, no control questions atm, erudite yet concise is the name of the group - expect users from on here to have academic knowledge and scholars to feel at home: https://www.facebook...4594/?ref=br_rs

Hardware in constant use: AMD (only CPU manufacturer and developer I recommend for everyone!) A9 equipped 15.6" monitor laptop with two batteries, Dual Core, DDR4 RAM; older desktop with Intel G2030 CPU. Both have 12 GB RAM and not even the desktop PC is entirely physically tied to my home in any way

Am in Poland on a trip in the Spring of 2019 North of Krakow; and Rome Summer 2019

Am growing only my Accordance and print libraries, further dismissing what else to maintain. Next purchase: the entire BNPauly series
During my life I've at various levels used 15 languages, sang in half of them

EU. Fine culture Culte - busy all Monday evenings near the Royal Library and getting private tuition usually Sunday daytime one hour at the Royal Music Academy, additionally as a group as well some Saturdays daytime

Have got a subscription on DCH in print format, €75 per volume. Those who live here: I will welcome You to this City by showing the angles everyone misses and give You a gift: One or two print Bibles or an account substituting the need for You to have a long term strategic shopping just to get started, and the uniqueness of an account will depend on how deeply You will get to do things together with me and share our intellectual and physical training passions together. Feb 15.: I have only ONE girl in mind for a relationship - she doesn't know about me yet and I'm taking Hebrew full-time to earn her - that's just my idea since I expect it to take that long before she logs in so I'm just waiting while using my ability to focus hard. She's not from on here. Her username starts with 9... (as on the other hand does her Year of Birth too). So yeah - I'm faithful to someone I'm yet to meet
I'm a vegan

Biggest title 2017: OTL and parts of NTL. Biggest title during 2018: https://twitter.com/...874763110559744 Biggest so far under 2019: NICOT/NICNT.
I can safely be encouraged
Healthy vendor lock-in
https://www.accordan...e-2#entry124374

#23 Johannes

Johannes

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Twitter:@AccordanceBibel

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

Looking a bit deeper at their offer, I'm asking myself is it really worth to abandon Accordance because they are not offering more German tagged bible text, I would like to see eg Schlachter2000 with tagging. To be honest, for me I see no reason to change to Logos.

Like Accordance they offer mainly works in English and to buy again the same in Logos is a waste of money. And a lot of scientific works are only available in English. The same here and there with a similar price tag.

I have also to say, I read mainly Hebrew, prefer rabbinical stuff over other things so I'm no longer dependent on bible translations and the offerings of Logos or Accordance. Most of the commentaries, like Rashi, Rambam I do not expect to see in Accordance, here I have to go Bar Illan Responsa and Serfaria resp. real books. In Israel, fortunately, still a preferred method to learn and read. 

I don't want to switch from Accordance to Logos, too.

A few years ago, when I set up the website accordancebible.de (at that time still as an independent website), I got requests about Accordance from German-speaking users. At some point the maintenance of the site became too much for me. So at least then there was a lively interest in Accordance in the German-speaking area.

Logos currently offers almost 200 German resources. Among them are dictionaries like Bauer-Aland (in spring 2019), dogmatics like Wayne Grudem's (I could contact the publisher there) and commentaries. There are also biblical encyclopedias and the works of Luther or Bonhoeffer as well as Greek courses.

My wishes are much more modest: I would like a German tagged Bible text, the Bauer-Aland and maybe a German bible dictionary.

Beyond that it makes sense not only for the German-speaking area, but for all, who concern themselves scientifically with church history and dogmatics, to offer also the texts of people like Luther, Calvin, Bonhoeffer, Barth etc. in German (thus in the language, in which they were written).

But what is really interesting is what Accordance thinks? Is there interest in doing something for the German market, and if so, to what extent?

Edited by Johannes, 08 December 2018 - 01:08 PM.

• markusvonkaenel, Unix and Fabian like this

Bibellesen mit Accordance: http://accordancebible.de

#24 markusvonkaenel

markusvonkaenel

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:34 AM

My wishes are much more modest: I would like a German tagged Bible text, the Bauer-Aland and maybe a German bible dictionary.

Beyond that it makes sense not only for the German-speaking area, but for all, who concern themselves scientifically with church history and dogmatics, to offer also the texts of people like Luther, Calvin, Bonhoeffer, Barth etc. in German (thus in the language, in which they were written).

But what is really interesting is what Accordance thinks? Is there interest in doing something for the German market, and if so, to what extent?

I agree with your modes wishes.

Concerning the statement about church history, this was the reason a friend of mine learned German. So for those in theology an important point. BTW: this is not my cup of tea.

Lets see what accordance think resp. if they make a statement at all.

#25 MattChristian

MattChristian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Assyriology, Dead Sea Scrolls, Semitic Linguistics, Language Contact, Hebrew, Greek, Syriac, Akkadian,. Ugaritic, Sumerian, Hittite,Jesus, Coffee

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:11 PM

I agree with your modes wishes.

Concerning the statement about church history, this was the reason a friend of mine learned German. So for those in theology an important point. BTW: this is not my cup of tea.

Lets see what accordance think resp. if they make a statement at all.

Many in my field publish in German. I would love this as well since the best way to learn German is to be immersed in it...

• Fabian likes this

Cheers,

Matt C

#26 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,680 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:51 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the continued feedback here. There's a lot that could be commented on here, especially some significant misconceptions about our efforts to acquire these resources. So, maybe I can help to clarify a few things.

1. We have researched the viability of acquiring a number of the public domain German translations tagged with Strong's numbers. In the process we have encountered several difficulties that have not made it possible at present to acquire and develop them. Without going into a line-by-line reply to every possible text, the significant issues have to do with verifying the provenance of the tagging, and royalties being charged for those we can verify the provenance of. To be clear: we will not develop a public domain resource without being able to clearly discover where the text came from, who did the tagging, whether there are any intellectual rights to that tagging, and how well the tagging was done. We have been burned by this over the years, and especially recently. 

2. We have and will continue to attempt to acquire more modern resources from reputable publishers and bible societies where we are able to come to a reasonable agreement on terms, and where verified electronic texts are available. This includes investing into new resources, e.g. the Leonberger Bibel.

As you can imagine, we receive requests on a daily basis for resources. We have to balance these requests with those that have been ongoing (sometimes for years!), and balance them within our larger objectives for new content, and placement of resources in to Content as compared to Application development across 4 platforms. 

As always, we read every request that comes in whether via the forums, email or otherwise. We do not have time to reply publicly to every request, but we are listening.

Thank you for your continued support and feedback.

• Joel Brown, Mark Allison, R. Mansfield and 5 others like this

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development

#27 Johannes

Johannes

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Twitter:@AccordanceBibel

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

Many thanks for the clarification, Rick, and a blessed year 2019!

• Unix likes this

Bibellesen mit Accordance: http://accordancebible.de

#28 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:15 AM

So the Elberfelder CSV mit Strong's is finished. The publisher has done his work.

Now its up to OakTree to bring it in Accordance.

Greetings

Fabian

• markusvonkaenel likes this
Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users