Accordance and Mountain Lion

R. Mansfield

I was sent an invitation from Apple to take part in the Appleseed program and test OS X 10.8/Mountain Lion. I've got it downloading, but I'm not going to install it just yet.

That sounds like a lot of fun and all, except that I really only have one Mac--the one I use every day--so while it's tempting, I don't want to jump into the jaws of the Mountain Lion too quickly.

My big picture question to anyone here on the forums is whether anyone's installed Mountain Lion yet and can state whether or not it breaks Accordance or any other major software including MS Word (which I have to use to grade my students' papers). I realize it's not possible to do exhaustive tests, but I'd be interested to hear the basic reliability of the current build.

I don't think answering a question about Accordance on Mountain Lion will necessarily violate an NDA :-)

Thanks.

• Like 1

Rick,

I've only been playing around with Mountain Lion today, but so far, it seems very stable and I haven't found any applications that aren't compatible with it. Accordance seems to run fine, as does Word 2011. I have it running on an iMac and MacBook Pro, with no issues on either machine. So far. :-)

• Like 1

Thanks, Mark. That's the kind of thing I wanted to hear.

Rick M.

I wouldn't run beta software on a Mac which is business critical. When Lion was still in beta, I used it on a secondary Mac and it was pretty buggy the first couple releases. Didn't smooth out until the fourth release.

The other scary thing is that with so much of my info being stored on iCloud, I wouldn't want a beta Mac OS to garble up my data and then push it to my other devices. Back up, back up, back up.

Now, what you can do is partition your hard drive and install it there. Dual boot, you know?

~Rick Stawarz

My main concern is with the Mac dropping support for some Carbon APIs under Mountain Lion. Isn't Accordance written in Carbon? I'm not sure what it means for an API to become "deprecated", but at minimum, it sounds like Carbon is going the way of PowerPC architecture sooner than later.

Too late, Rick--I already upgraded!

But I do have good backups!

For business critical machines, I don't recommend upgrading to a full version release until the first update is out. But what's the fun in that? :-)

My main concern is with the Mac dropping support for some Carbon APIs under Mountain Lion. Isn't Accordance written in Carbon? I'm not sure what it means for an API to become "deprecated", but at minimum, it sounds like Carbon is going the way of PowerPC architecture sooner than later.

Is Accordance being rewritten in Cocoa?

There is no need to worry. Our developers are well aware of the latest Apple developments, and are working as hard as possible to keep up. Of course, they are often distracted by the calls for new features and changes to current ones.

• Like 1

After watching the preview video of Mountain Lion I can see some great possibilities for teaching using the Air Play mirroring. Imagine teaching a class with Accordance using a laptop but not having to deal with the hassle of wires. Consider the ability to discuss topography using the 3D feature in Atlas. The future looks bright! I am excited.

FWIW: To those that are "dual use" with Logos, it is being reported "that" software "does not" work with ML.

Accordance does.

Ditto Tony

For business critical machines, I don't recommend upgrading to a full version release until the first update is out. But what's the fun in that? :-)

Well, mine as my only machine, is pretty critical, although not for business. Just teaching, ministry and dissertation :-)

Fools rush in? Well, we'll see. So far, I've not been able to load VMWare or Logos in ML and neither of these are "critical" for anything I do.

At least I have good backups.

Edited by R. Mansfield

Okay, here is something I noticed a few minutes ago: upgrading to Mountain Lion reset my default text and tool font in Accordance. All of a sudden, I had a sans serifed font, which I don't use in Accordance. In checking preferences, it showed simply the top selection--American Typewriter--but that's not actually what was displaying.

Sadly, I can't remember what font I used before to set it back. David Lang, if you're reading this, what font do you use? I may have copied you a long time ago. At the moment I have it set to Times New Roman, but that's definitely wrong.

Edited by R. Mansfield

A font from the Garamond family, I think, is what David Lang uses (at least in the tutorial DVD videos). Probably Adobe Garamond Pro.

Edited by Sean R.

Rick, Sean is right. I use Adobe Garamond.

Please forgive my ignorance but: I do not have that Font selection available to me in Accordance.

On that note: Can anyone tell me where to get a wider selection of fonts for Osx, that will not break Accordance, or my bank account and, how to properly access them in Accordance?

Should I post this is a new Topic?

Thanks,

Rusty+

Rick, Sean is right. I use Adobe Garamond.

Weird. In preferences, Accordance wasn't displaying any font alphabetically higher than American Typewriter. So fonts like Adobe Garamond, Adobe Caslon, etc., could not be selected. I closed Accordance, opened up Font Book and checked to see that the fonts were still present, which they were. There were no warnings next to them, but I selected the Adobe Garamond set and let Font Book verify them. They came back fine, so I opened up Accordance and found in Preferences that all fonts were selectable once again. So now Adobe Garamond works again in Accordance.

On another note, going back to the topic of this thread, AppleInsider posted an interesting article that some folks might be interested in reading: "Mountain Lion focuses on Cocoa, drops X11 and deprecates Carbon Core."

On an unrelated note, this is my 600th post in the Accordance forums! The balloons that fell were awesome.

Edited by R. Mansfield

Accordance wasn't displaying any font alphabetically higher than American Typewriter. So fonts like Adobe Garamond, Adobe Caslon, etc., could not be selected.
What you're describing is weird, Rick. Was it only The Adobe _____ fonts that didn't display at first? That could be tracked down.

Otherwise, I'm snickering, suspecting a more likely explanation is that you weren't seeing the top of the scroll. You have a second display, arranged at above the main?

No, it was all the fonts seen in the attached graphic.

Screen Shot 2012-02-18 at 7.33.39 PM.png

I was definitely seeing the top of the scroll. I'm only working from my MacBook Air today, without external monitor. I noticed it yesterday after I pasted the screenshot of the chronological readings in another forum post. I never use sans serifed fonts in Accordance because they don't match the serifed original language fonts.

When I checked preferences, American Typewriter was selected, but it was definitely not American Typewriter being used in my Accordance display. American Typewriter was merely at the top of the list.

Anyway, I checked it yesterday and today and the font list would go no higher than American TypeWriter, which was also the font selected in preferences.

This occurred after my update to Mountain Lion. I would guess it's connected, but can't be certain. However, it would be interesting to see if it's repeated when someone else updates to Mountain Lion.

I am just running Lion and do not have these fonts either.

Are these purchased Fonts or should they be there?

Thanks.

Ok, looked it up, The Adobe fonts are not standard, so that why i don't have them-smile.

Best place/way to get them?

Thanks

Ok, looked it up, The Adobe fonts are not standard, so that why i don't have them-smile. Best place/way to get them?

I don't know how I got them. I wonder if they came with Adobe Creative Suite?

• 4 months later...

Well, I hope this runs better than Lion. I have had a lot of problems with Lion locking up or crashing. It reminds me of Windows Vista.

Guess i have been lucky almost nothing like that… I do have an issue where safari seems to believe it isn't connected to the net but restarting usually cures it.

-Dan