Compare and Contrast Historical Passages

William Cross

Is there a way to set up Accordance to highlight or show the similarities and differences between two different accounts of the same historical event in the OT?

An example would be 2 Samuel 6 and 1 Chronicles 13 in order to see more clearly what was happening in each text.

Is there a way to set up Accordance to highlight or show the similarities and differences between two different accounts of the same historical event in the OT?

An example would be 2 Samuel 6 and 1 Chronicles 13 in order to see more clearly what was happening in each text.

Have you tried the 'Parallels'? This won't highlight the differences automatically, but you could create a highlight style to use in this view? See here (after clicking on parallel icon in Resource Palette and entering 2sam 6):

post-5629-0-85434900-1331064237_thumb.png

Yes, I have looked at the Parallels. What I saw though was just two panes with the Bible text side by side. I really don't need a special module to do that. It is easy enough to look at two different passages at the same time. I guess I was hoping it would do something more than that. For example, the way comparing to texts like the NASB and ESV highlights the differences. Or list the passages in a way that lines up the verses where they match and splits them with space when they provide unique info. A way of quickly analyzing the text visually and showing the historical timeline of events and how each text brings more or less clarity to the specific events.

Adding space where one text has information and the other does not is a nifty idea. However, the differences between parallel texts are generally too great to show with simple highlighting. It would be easiest among the Synoptic Gospels (though still no simple task), but virtually impossible between 1 Sam-2 Kgs and 1-2 Chronicles or the Pauline Epistles. These parallels are just too different.

Archived