God

Rich Shields

I have been using God’s Word translation more recently. In the process I have discovered that Accordance does not denote the tetragrammaton correctly. I had sent an email about one verse, but now I find, for instance, that all of Psalm 118 has the same error, namely leaving YHWH as Lord reserved for Adonai, instead of the printed version LORD [technically small caps] denoting YHWH. Also, I have many other English translations, which get this correctin Accordance.

Psalm 118:1 God’s Word in Accordance

Give thanks to the Lord because he is good,

because his mercy endures forever.

Psalm 118:1 God’s Word in print

Give thanks to the LORD because he is good,

because his mercy endures forever.

See also, Psalm 118: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29

So, rather than send emails for every instance (perhaps the entire Old Testament), it would be better if the Accordance team can correct the entire God’s Word translation.

Thanks.

Edited by RichS

It won't be easy to correct if, as is probably the case, it was not correctly distinguished in the etext we received, but we will look into it.

• 4 weeks later...

It won't be easy to correct if, as is probably the case, it was not correctly distinguished in the etext we received, but we will look into it.

Would it be helpful for me to contact Baker Publishing directly? Or is this portion done by GWNBS?

• 1 month later...

So, checking in again. If anything is to be done, should I contact Baker or GWN Bible Society?

• 2 weeks later...

We've been in contact with the publisher and plan to edit the text, but cannot give a date when the update will be available.

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Edited by Rick Bennett

What about the possibility of adding the apocryphal texts???

-Dan

What about the possibility of adding the apocryphal texts???

-Dan

We can probably look into getting it, but that would likely entail new licensing terms, etc. not just correcting errors in the text. So, no idea when we might be able to get it and what priority it should be with all the other titles we're pursuing.

• 3 weeks later...

I felt no need to create a separate thread since I remembered reading this one a couple of weeks ago, but I noticed this morning that the same capitalization issue for the divine name is also present in the Revised English Bible.

• 4 weeks later...

As a follow on, I noticed that Douay translation also does not handle the divine name correctly.

As a follow on, I noticed that Douay translation also does not handle the divine name correctly.

Since Douay Rhems is translated from the Vulgate I can;t imagine how they would identify which words were the tetragram. Any version of the Vulgate would have to have very special treatment of the word in reference verses simple Lord.

-Dan

We can probably look into getting it, but that would likely entail new licensing terms, etc. not just correcting errors in the text. So, no idea when we might be able to get it and what priority it should be with all the other titles we're pursuing.

9781441236821 is the ISBN of the electronic copy. So there is an electronic text and I would be more than willing to pay an upgrade price, not only for GWN but GNB too...

-Dan

PS: I am less concerned with GNB (TEV) since i have the catholic edition on my iPad.

• 1 month later...

Checking to see what the status is on God’s Word translation. I also wrote to Baker Publishing about this, but have heard nothing from either company.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been seven months...

So any update on the status of this correction? I have not heard from Accordance, Baler, or GW Bible Society.

Edited by RichS
  • Like 1

We've inquired with the publisher on the availability of an updated e-text and are awaiting a response. As mentioned previously we're working on several big projects, so it will likely take some time to work this into the rotation even when we receive it. Thanks for checking in.

• 4 months later...

Checking in again, since it has been 11 months since the initial inquiry. :D

We've received it and will work on an update as we are able.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the latest content update! God’s Word translation has been updated to include the tetragrammaton.

Well done!

• Like 1