Word Cloud Generator

TomS

I wonder whether it would be beyond the bounds of reasonable to develop a function similar to the graphing of search results that would generate word clouds. For example focussing on a book of the bible or a range of books or even verses if required? Given the recent rise in infographics i think this could be a really creative and pratical teaching tool.

I'm not sure that this wouldnt involve some overly complicated programming though? What do you think?

Tom..

You can do this easily already by copying the text (minus references and superscripts) and pasting it into a generator online.

I notice you used the word "easily" remove refs etc, i'm not sure how that would be easily done?

Thanks though, i didnt know the generators existed online.... still might be a handy tool within Accordance though?

Display->Set Text Display, then change the drop-down menu under References to "Omit Reference." When you copy the text, right-click and copy as "no superscript."

One such generator online is Wordle.com

I realize this isn't the same exact thing as a word cloud, but a similar effect can be produced which, I think, is even more versatile than a word cloud. Simply run an asterisk (*) search in the limited text range you want, and then go to the instant details display and choose, for example, the "Pie Graphic," select "Display Words" rather than key number, and you get a visual graphic of every word in that range, plus the word count, and all the options to view and organize the results in anyway you want. Check out the two screen shots I've attached. This is from an asterisk search in Ephesians 1:1-10. In either graphic, one can immediately see how central Christ is to the entire passage as well as the key role of the preposition "in". I find the graphic display of this to be much more appealing to the eye than a word cloud which is only text of different sizes, not to mention the ability to work with these results for subsequent searches etc.

post-29340-0-16117400-1333171189_thumb.jpg

post-29340-0-58208300-1333171283_thumb.jpg

Archived