Preaching with notes on iPad?

Tim Gascho

Has anyone tried preaching using "user notes" in Accordance on an ipad?

My preference is (when I use it) to use the User Tool rather than User Notes. I have a User Tool module of sermons to which I just keep adding new sermons. I have greater control over font size with a User Tool. I just make sure the font is the right size for me in Accordance on the Mac since the size on the iPad is inherited from the Mac when you sync. Also, the scripture links can be touched on the iPad to open in a small window for reading the scripture text (though it would be great to be able to have control over resizing scripture text).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to hear more tips like this so I can pass them along to my pastor. I've been trying to get him switched over to Accordance and just today I shared how amazing the iOS app is. Developing a great way to preach using Accordance would definitely push him to making this decision. :) I will definitely check out the User Tool module -- I hadn't run across that yet.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone figured out how to edit User Tools on the iPad?

User Tool editing is not available yet in the iOS app.

Scott

• 5 months later...

Are we not able to open a User Tool in the (I forget the actual name) side panel that we can open? I can have my Bible open and then open that slide out panel where I have the option to open other Texts, or Resource Tools, or My Notes, but I can't open my user tool that I made to preach from.

I can open my user tool from the Library, so I know it's on my iPad. Is this not possible to do at this time?

When I do Sunday school, I use my Air mostly... I could use the iPad but I'd still need the Air to take sermon notes with. I have a horrible time trying to figure any of these programs out and so what I ended up doing is just using Evernote. There was some sort of a services menu I was trying to get to work and it did for a day or so. I copy out of Accordance the Bible verses I need into a text editor along with my notes. Computers are good for massive headaches but they do save paper. You can create your lesson on your desktop with some simple text editor. Paste in the verses you will be reading so you don't have to take the time to fumble around typing them in. I just use Text Wrangler or some other text editor for that part as most word processors will just create frustration and derail your train of thought. Once you have it all set then just copy and paste the whole thing into a new note in Evernote. Synch it to your account and you are done. Any device you can put Evernote on will have your document ready and waiting for you.

Hey, Rick - OT, but just wanted to tell you that I like your picture.

• 1 month later...

For our informal evening service where we don't use a data projector, I have settled on using notes that comes standard in iOS. I have tried Evernote and Upad lite but just find cutting and pasting into notes is easiest. The main problem I have is that I like to link to other readings and miss the pop up. I have the liturgy in adobe reader and other resources in kindle, so have opened all the files in the right places and so can easily flip to them in recents and they open in the right place. I also use forScore for the music and use my AirTurn to turn pages while I am playing an instrument.

For the main service, I don't use notes but prepare the service on data projection so everyone sees the verse or map or whatever resource I am referring to and am prompted by what is on the big screen. It works for me.

My ideal would be to have the presentation on my iPad and move the 'slides' on from it but as we don't have wifi in church to support Remote Desktop, that is a long way off. Until then I will continue with the excellent Kensington zapper ( it gets too complicated changing screen on the iPad and on the data projector).

Edited by ukfraser