Andersen-Forbes OT Text

Charles Grebe

Hi,

As I'm sure most are aware, Logos is flogging their new syntactically-tagged texts in their version 3. See http://www.logos.com/logos3 (bottom of page).

I'm doing text linguistic work in OT and the Andersen-Forbes text would be a big help. Are there any plans of including this in Accordance at some point? Does Logos have exclusive rights to the Andersen-Forbes text by any chance?

thanks

Charles

minor typos corrected

Edited by Helen Brown

Yes, we are well aware of Logos' publicity. It is our understanding that Logos does has an exclusive right to these texts. We are investigating alternative options, but we are also unsure as to how useful this tagging will prove to be in practice, and welcome feedback from those who have used it.

I wouldn't suggest trying to rebuild the database. If an existing database was available, however, and it wasn't too much work to incorporate into Accordance it would make a nice module.

Regarding "usefulness in practice," I think anyone doing discourse analysis would be interested. I know I would. However, I don't think that many people are doing this sort of work so it may not be worth the effort.

• 8 months later...
Yes, we are well aware of Logos' publicity. It is our understanding that Logos does has an exclusive right to these texts. We are investigating alternative options, but we are also unsure as to how useful this tagging will prove to be in practice, and welcome feedback from those who have used it.

Trinity Evangelical Divinity Schools (TEDS) in Deerfield, IL recently had a trainer from Logos on campus to demo the features of Logos 3.0. He stated that Logos did not have exclusive rights to the Andersen-Forbes database. So perhaps it is possible that Accordance will be able to add this to their impressive line up of products in the near future.

• 8 years later...

Can OakTree make any progress here?

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The Westminster Leningrad Codex (WLC), the Westminster Hebrew Morphology (WHM), and the Westminster Hebrew Syntax (WHS) Databases Will Be Released Soon under a Creative Commons License.

We are finalizing the documentation and crossing our t’s and dotting our i’s on the legal aspects of our upcoming releases of the Westminster Leningrad Codex (WLC), the Westminster Hebrew Morphology (WHM), and Westminster Hebrew Syntax (WHS) under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No-Derivative License.   This particular Creative Commons License will allow use of our databases for research and fun.  Those wishing to do “derivative works” such as scholarly annoations for publication or Bible translation using our databases will be asked to sign a straightforward contract to allow those specific “derivative” works.  Check back at this web site for updates on the Creative Commons Release.

From https://www.grovescenter.org

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The original post in this thread goes back over 16 years! Patience is indeed a virtue because we are pleased to announce the release of the Andersen-Forbes Morphology and Syntax Database.

• Like 2