Any Lutherans Here? - Book of Concord request

dedge85

It would be great to have the Book of Concord available for Accordance. This is the confessions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, which has a summation of the doctrine of Lutheran churches worldwide.

This could be helpful if you are...

1.) A Lutheran teacher/pastor/lay leader as this has both the Small Catechism and Large Catechism as well as many other articles that teach the faith.

2.) Interested in the Reformation. The Book of Concord was written from 1530-1580 and is considered a historic collection of documents. The Augsburg Confession was presented to Charles V as a clear teaching of what the protestants believed. The documents are not simply statements of doctrine but were written as a defense and clarification of what the Evangelicals believed in the turmoil of the Reformation. So if you are studying history, the Book of Concord is a reliable primary source.

3.) Interested in what the first Protestants believed. Granted this book is lengthy, but it does include the Small Catechism, written by Martin Luther, as a simple and clear teaching of the Evangelical faith. Want to know what Luther was wrestling with during his time and why Lutheran churches believe what they do today? Book of Concord is your one stop shop.

Yes this book already is in print, with the most up to date transltion being the Kolb/Wengert edition. But Accordance can have the ability to search where the book cites scripture references, word searches, copy/paste, etc. Maybe even have the ability to have the original German and Latin tagged? Who knows, the possiblities are endless.

Anybody else want to see the Book of Concord available for Accordance? If so, reply!

• Like 2

Looks like this is published by Fortress. It's possible for us to pursue this, but are there any older editions (i.e. public domain) that are also worthwhile? In fact, we're interested in any public domain Lutheran works; any feedback is appreciated.

I'm not a Lutheran, but I would appreciate this as well. In fact, it would be great to see it incorporated into the existing Creeds module, as the Creeds module already has the Augsburg confession.

Rick,

The Tappert edition I believe is public domain. The original Latin and German should also be public domain since it is so old, but maybe someone does hold a copyright to it.

I would prefer the Kolb/Wengert edition as it is the most up to date translation and the Tappert is not quite as authoritative in some circles. The reasoning behind this is a little complicated, but at the very least the Tappert edition would be a start and maybe could be available at a cheaper cost. However, a printed Book of Concord Kolb/Wengert is only $30 so I would imagine that the copyright of it should be reasonable in price.

Additionally, the reason why I posted this is with the hopes that Fortress Press offers the copyright of it. Concordia Publishing House does not play nice with Accordance because they are jealous of the fine product that Accordance on Apple computers has.

Rick,

The Tappert edition I believe is public domain. The original Latin and German should also be public domain since it is so old, but maybe someone does hold a copyright to it.

I would prefer the Kolb/Wengert edition as it is the most up to date translation and the Tappert is not quite as authoritative in some circles. The reasoning behind this is a little complicated, but at the very least the Tappert edition would be a start and maybe could be available at a cheaper cost. However, a printed Book of Concord Kolb/Wengert is only $30 so I would imagine that the copyright of it should be reasonable in price.

Additionally, the reason why I posted this is with the hopes that Fortress Press offers the copyright of it. Concordia Publishing House does not play nice with Accordance because they are jealous of the fine product that Accordance on Apple computers has.

We'll look into it, but keep in mind the price of a title in print has little to do with how much it may cost to license, etc. And please, we'd appreciate refraining from making any assumptions regarding CPH.

Edited by Rick Bennett

I'm not a Lutheran but would love to see these resources in Accordance. I recently picked up reader's editions of the Book of Concord and Walther's "Distinguishing Between Law and Gospel" and they are excellent. I know that there are public domain translations as I downloaded a PDF from the LCMS website that contained the entire Book of Concord. The language is a bit old but definitely still readable.

I've been slowly putting together some Lutheran (public domain) resources: http://stevebauer.us/wordpress/?page_id=14

Bente's historical introductions are public domain, so you are welcome to download them. The same is true of Walther's Law and Gospel. However, an LCMS pastor put together a user tool for the english part of the Triglotta. And if you can assure me that you have a hard copy, I'll be more than happy to send you the user tool for that too (since I don't know if that's public domain too).

I too have mentioned here on the forums several times that I'd like the Kolb-Wengert version (along with the fancy footnotes). I'm sure there would be enough interest among Lutherans that it would be worth the effort for the Accordance folks to take that project on.

Of course, it would be amazing to have the Real Triglotta---not just the english but the Latin and German tagged and scrolling together in parallel. That would be good.

• Like 1

I've been slowly putting together some Lutheran (public domain) resources: http://stevebauer.us...ess/?page_id=14

Bente's historical introductions are public domain, so you are welcome to download them. The same is true of Walther's Law and Gospel. However, an LCMS pastor put together a user tool for the english part of the Triglotta. And if you can assure me that you have a hard copy, I'll be more than happy to send you the user tool for that too (since I don't know if that's public domain too).

I too have mentioned here on the forums several times that I'd like the Kolb-Wengert version (along with the fancy footnotes). I'm sure there would be enough interest among Lutherans that it would be worth the effort for the Accordance folks to take that project on.

Of course, it would be amazing to have the Real Triglotta---not just the english but the Latin and German tagged and scrolling together in parallel. That would be good.

Outis, I do indeed have both the Kolb/Wengert and Bente Book of Concord in print. If you would like, you can send me the user tool. My email is dedge85@gmail.com if you want to send it to be via email. I would shout with glee if the Latin/German can be tagged one day on Accordance!

Thanks for all of the posts, I hope this could happen!

Until we're able to fulfill all these wishes, don't forget that Schaff's Creeds of Christendom is available in Accordance, and it includes the Latin and English text of the 1530 Augsburg Confession, the German and English text of Luther's Small Catechism, and the Latin and English text of a portion of the Formula of Concord.

• 2 months later...

I would love to see an Accordance module with either Tappert, Triglotta or Kolb/Wengert translations of the Book of Concord. I made a user tool from a public domain online source, but would gladly purchase an Accordance version.