Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar Typeface

Jonathan Kiel

Greetings,

Working on a Hebrew problem today, I realized why Gesenius' grammar has been less helpful than I originally thought it would be. After struggling with understanding a section, I gave in and reached for my printed edition.

That's when I noticed the difference. The definitions to Hebrew words (and other emphasized texts) in the printed edition are in italics. In the Accordance edition, the definitions are regular type, and thus, blend into the description. The printed edition is much easier to read because you know exactly when the author is providing a definition.

Is there any way that the italics from the printed edition could be added to the Accordance edition?

As a example of the problem, can you guess (on first glance) when the translations begin and end? From section 152u "but probably עצר is only an intrusion from 29:12, and we should read עצר without any one‘s restraining them; in 29:12 translate the fatherless and him that had none to help him; in Ps 72:12 ואין–ע is used in the same sense)"

You can tell in an instant in the printed edition.

I love Accordance, but this change would make Gesenius much more accessible and enjoyable.

Thanks for the consideration!

Jonathan

The italics are there for me. Just change the font to one that has italics (OS X no longer converts if italics are missing), such as Helvetica Neue Light (our new default font).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
... Helvetica Neue Light (our new default font).

What do you mean by "our new default?" Is this what you recommend? It it default on new installations? Is it the recommended font since it displays "everything" correctly? Thanks.

Both, it is default on new installations, and it does seem to work well.