Stop copy function from opening MS Word

Lester P. Bagley

Somewhere in the last couple of beta cycles I ended up with every copy command in Accordance opening MS Word. I can't find an obvious setting in Preferences but it must be there somewhere.

How do I change this behavior?

Only in Accordance does this happen when you Copy? How are you copying? Do you get the same opening-Word behavior for all these:

Menu Edit/Copy?

Right-click contextual menu?

Keyboard shortcut command+c?

Or do you get it just for the keyboard shortcut?

Only in Accordance does this happen when you Copy? How are you copying? Do you get the same opening-Word behavior for all these:

Menu Edit/Copy?

Right-click contextual menu?

Keyboard shortcut command+c?

Or do you get it just for the keyboard shortcut?

Yes, Joe, it's only Accordance and all behaviors for initiating the copy open Word.

A couple of betas back I got an "Open" dialog on the first copy for every run of Accordance that asked me to find the program "Accord." It could be cancelled and everything went back to normal until one day it began opening Word instead of the dialog.

No new software was installed on the machine (17" MacBook Pro, early 2011 model) during the time this all began. So it doesn't seem to be initiated by anything but Accordance.

I got an "Open" dialog on the first copy for every run of Accordance that asked me to find the program "Accord."

This sounds like a function of an Applescript that is invoked by the Copy command, but why it is running with an iteration of a Beta, I do not know. I must have missed that in a Beta. This would have to be a script function within the beta package... another will have to answer that, like Joel.

Somewhere in the last couple of beta cycles I ended up with every copy command in Accordance opening MS Word. I can't find an obvious setting in Preferences but it must be there somewhere.

How do I change this behavior?

I have no clue why this is happening, but it wasn't a 'feature' in any of the betas.

Lester,

You have no memory of installing any copy-related service, script, utility? Such things can be set application-specific, so that it'd only occur in one particular app.

I guess you can look in System Preferences/Keyboard/Keyboard Shortcuts/Services, to scan the large list and make sure nothing is listed there that might do this (though that would only affect initiating with a key combo.

Fact is, if you're getting the same behavior using the menu selection of "Copy" as you do using the key combo, then it HAS to be either something within the Accordance package, or some 3rd party utility that's running. You sure you have no clipboard utility, like ClipMenu, CopyPaste Pro, PTHPasteboard, CuteClips, JumpCut, etc.?

What if you choose something like "Copy as Citation"... same behavior, brining Word to the front?

Joe,

That's the odd part of it. ALL "Copy" functions from either the shortcuts or menu will open Word (and always in the background, never brought to in front of Accordance). My third party utilities were all in place before this behavior. Though it could be an update to something else, it really seems like it's something within Accordance that's triggering it.

I'm still nagged by the dialog box that opened asking me to find "Accord." It would never show Accordance but did show everything else in Applications.

There is definitely something funny going on with your scripts. Perhaps one of the updates to the widget is causing your scripts to seep into other areas of the system, but there is certainly not a shred of functionality with Accordance to open MS Word when you do a copy. There must be some setting you have set up where when the clipboard gets text, MS Word is opened. Accordance has never had any sort of functionality like this, so it must be some setting in one of your utilities thats been changed.

I'm still nagged by the dialog box that opened asking me to find "Accord." It would never show Accordance but did show everything else in Applications.

That all makes sense. The process name of the Accordance app used to be "Accord", but now its "acord" (don't get me started).

You said

My third party utilities were all in place before this behavior.
What third-party utilities?

This could be hard to figure out, cause as Joel said, it ain't anything Accordance is doing, it's something else you have on your computer that's doing it. And we don't know what's on your computer. ;)

If I were diagnosing,

1. I'd type this into the Spotlight search:

kind:script

and then select Show All in Finder, and then sort the resulting window by kind, in order to look at all "Script" and "Script bundle" files loaded on your machine.

2. I'd also want to look at the list of Services in App/Services/Services Preferences.

3. And, I'd want to see what's listed in your Login Items at System Preferences/Users&Groups/Login items.

4. And, I'd want to see the results of running this command in Terminal

ps -ax

in order to see all running processes.

And, I know I don't need to say this, but it hasn't been mentioned, so I will... you have restarted your computer?

You might also try renaming your com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist in ~/Library/Preferences.

Restart. OS X will recreate a default plist. If the problem is resolved, trash the corrupted file.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions. Nothing worked and I decided to just live with it (MS Word was always opened in the background so I could just ignore it if I was not using Word).

What DID work was the update to Mountain Lion (yes, I tried re-installing Lion). That's got me the dialog to "find Accord" once again, but after cancelling the dialog it has not returned.

Your suggestions were all good ones (even if they didn't work :rolleyes: ) and I really appreciate your time and efforts!