Search All

Lemuel

I tried searching the forums and help for the type of search that I'm trying to do, but I can't seem to find a way to do this ... so I thought I'd see if others have run into this kind of a search and how they've managed to do it.

Say, I want to do a Search All for a particular scripture reference (or set of references, particularly when the passage has other parallels). I know that I can select the "field pop-up" menu and select Reference and perform the search.

But what if, I wanted to search for an english word (or greek word) for that matter AND the scripture reference, within a certain set of words or in the same paragraph, etc. How might one go about doing that?

I've done these kinds of searches within a tool, but the search options and constructs can be much more complex there.

From the help file:

• Field pop-up menu: Used to define which fields to search in the modules. Available options are:
  • English: The search is performed only on English language (Latin lettering) texts or fields in tools
  • Greek: The search is performed only on Greek language texts or fields in tools
  • Hebrew: The search is performed only on Hebrew language texts or fields in tools
  • Reference: The search is performed only for Scripture references in the Text and Tool modules (use the same searchcriteria to enter scripture references as in the Search tab, or for the Scripture field of the Tools tab)
  • Caption: The search is performed only on image captions in the Tool modules

Search All cannot do combined field searches, sorry! The fields are so variable between the tools that it would be impossible to identify and specify them. This kind of search has to be set up separately in each tool, and I cannot think of a way to link them either. You can link the main fields together, so if you set the secondary field in each tool to Romans in the Scripture field, you could link the Greek Entries in the main search entry, and enter different words in the first one and find them in the linked tools.