Viewing footnotes

Robb B

It's probably not acceptable (or perhaps even legal) to copy another app, but I'd really like to see Accordance implement a way to view the footnotes beneath the text in the iOS app. BibleReader does a fantastic job with this, as the screenshot shows. While it's not overly cumbersome to tap each footnote number, it does get to be a hassle because (1) the target area to tap is relatively small and mistaps are not uncommon, and (2) some resources have footnotes at the end of every sentence, and the popover can cover up text that you might want to see while looking at the note.

Thanks for considering.

post-413-0-72491100-1344462053_thumb.png

For the iOS app (and I would guess for the desktop app also) the footnotes would have to be in a separate module to make this work with the current design. Anything's possible given enough user requests and time.

Thanks for the feedback,

Scott.

Scott,

I'm not a seasoned developer, but I think this could easily be accomplished without much work or making additional modules. Here's how:

A user taps a footnote and a pop-up opens with options within the popup to go to that spot in the module in main window or to open a parallel window to that spot. If the user taps Parallel Window (or whatever nomenclature), a duplicate of the current window is opened below with the same module opened twice, but the lower window opens to the footnote spot in the module. Then, untie the windows so that they scroll independently.

While it would be amazing to have the footnotes scroll as new ones appear in the main window, it's not necessary. The primary programming change, as I see it, would be to allow a non-tied parallel window of the current module in a tool view.

If you don't want them scrolling together, then you're right, it's not that much work other than simply allowing another pane to be opened in the tool search view.

Scott.

Can't this already be done in the current iOS app? Just make your parallel pane the appropriate Notes tool for the text, such as ESV notes for ESVi. I often do this as the tapping becomes tedious.

Edit: Oops, I see you mean for tools notes, rather than text notes.

Can't this already be done in the current iOS app? Just make your parallel pane the appropriate Notes tool for the text, such as ESV notes for ESVi. I often do this as the tapping becomes tedious.

The primary pane hold a tool module. The tool search view does not currently support showing more than a single pane.