Accordance 10 - WOW!

JonathanHuber

Thank you!!!

v.10 My workflow has improved. Study is much more effective.

I was on beta, it worked for me from the start.

Accordance lets you focus on the text, when you 'wander away' to explore, your always can go back to where you began.

Great interface. Works great on a small screen.

Have some worries about the Windows version, surely another type of users will enter in. Mac users are dedicated.

Hans

Edited by HansK

Mansfield, that's a sticker? How does this work? That is pretty sharp...

Version 10 sure looks like it is all that you all say it is. I am anxious to dive in and get it, but the patience God is trying to teach me will have to persist for now (first year seminary student). Christmas is a good idea for requests, I'll have to cross my fingers and hope that a retiree from my family will graciously forward me this lovely update. Geesh, I feel like that cartoon with the devil and the angel on my shoulders...;) Thanks accordance for your efforts in keeping this software first rate. I have abundantly benefited from it in my personal and school studies the little time that I have had it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been an Accordance user from the days it came out on floppies ... so long ago I can't actually remember the date. While I really do appreciate all the hard work put in by the Accordance people (well done to Helen et al), and they know of my steadfast support over the years, I do have some questions about Acc 10. I've paid for the upgrade — always happy to support the good folks at Acc — but after trying out 10 for a week or so, I've returned to Acc 9. So some comments from a real old-timer...

1. for me, the most important thing is actual text space. I'd love to see a user option for permanently disabling the new tool bar in preferences or something — I personally never use them since I prefer key combinations where possible and it takes up precious screen space (one of the first things I do with MS Word is disable the ribbon etc.)

2. Palettes. I imagine there was considerable discussion about whether to integrate everything into the one window (philosophically and ideologically appealing) or not at the initial redesign discussions. But in my view the integration of palettes into the main window was not a good idea—in practice they take up too much space and in the case of the resource palette, are obtrusive.

a. Instant details: Under the old scheme, I needed only one instant details box no matter how many workspaces I had open (and I usually start with at least five when I launch). Furthermore, I could customize the box size and location to optimize my viewing of the text. Now I can reduce the depth of the window, but no longer as shallow as I used to have it, and I can do nothing about the length or position. Again, it's taking up too much space. Is there some way to get it out of the workspace, and get some of those old customizing abilities back?

b. Resource: this is the deal breaker. The old version could be moved anywhere, which for me meant way off to the right and out of the way of my texts. Now when I open it, it takes up a relatively huge amount of my window space (and it resists any attempt to minimize it further) and, being on the left hand side of the window, shunts all my texts over to the right — I can avoid that by closing it, but that only makes the resource less resourceful — and requires more keystrokes. This does not strike me as the polite behaviour of a resource; it's the dominating behaviour that MS Word is so well known for. I can of course set it to overlay which preserves my texts but then it insists on obscuring my main search box and main search text which is even worse. The old version, far more compact and unobtrusive, also allowed me to use buttons with drop down menus. I've spent hundreds of hours building up a series of Quickkeys routines that would enable me to launch a range of new windows by one keystroke — all of which are now broken (and I've just embarked on a year long sabbatical to finish a commentary; I neither have the time, nor the emotional energy to redo them given that under the new system they'll be more complex). With Acc 10 now I have to click on the arrow, and then find my text. If I want to filter (to remove the unwanted recently opened) I can't have texts and modules open at the same time (have you recently hired someone from Microsoft ... [smiley face]?) Seriously though, is there any way to get the resources palette out of the workspace and over to the right and out of the way, and reduced in size from the massive two inches wide and full length of the workspace to the 3/4s inch and compact version it used to be? (I really don't need to have the recently opened list pushing down the rest of the list, so that now I have to scroll down — added work — before I can get to the stuff I really want?)

I think what I'm trying to say is, philosophically, details/resource do not belong in the main window. I.e. Accordance is about access to the text.. the tools are aids; keep them distinct.

Let me repeat however, that I am and always have been a great fan of and outspoken advocate for Acc (as the folks there well know). And I appreciate, as always, the great work you continue to do, and the tremendous amount of effort you've put into 10. So please hear the above as a (I admit, somewhat impassioned — but that's because I'm a buy-in from a long time ago) friendly call (plea?) for amendment.

Rikk Watts (Prof of NT, Regent College)

Edited by Rikk

I've been an Accordance user from the days it came out on floppies ... so long ago I can't actually remember the date. While I really do appreciate all the hard work put in by the Accordance people (well done to Helen et al), and they know of my steadfast support over the years, I do have some questions about Acc 10. I've paid for the upgrade — always happy to support the good folks at Acc — but after trying out 10 for a week or so, I've returned to Acc 9. So some comments from a real old-timer...

1. for me, the most important thing is actual text space. I'd love to see a user option for permanently disabling the new tool bar in preferences or something — I personally never use them since I prefer key combinations where possible and it takes up precious screen space (one of the first things I do with MS Word is disable the ribbon etc.)

This was recently requested on another thread. I am not sure where it ranks on the level of precedence, but the more people request certain feature enhancements, the more attention it will get.

2. Palettes. I imagine there was considerable discussion about whether to integrate everything into the one window (philosophically and ideologically appealing) or not at the initial redesign discussions. But in my view the integration of palettes into the main window was not a good idea—in practice they take up too much space and in the case of the resource palette, are obtrusive.

a. Instant details: Under the old scheme, I needed only one instant details box no matter how many workspaces I had open (and I usually start with at least five when I launch). Furthermore, I could customize the box size and location to optimize my viewing of the text. Now I can reduce the depth of the window, but no longer as shallow as I used to have it, and I can do nothing about the length or position. Again, it's taking up too much space. Is there some way to get it out of the workspace, and get some of those old customizing abilities back?

I came to be a Mac user when the Palettes were fading out of use, along with the 'drawers', and at first I was a bit underwhelmed by Accordance's Palettes. However, what I realized is that I grew very fond of the Palettes, and like you, found that they could work to create some very attractive workspaces. So I can sense your affection for the Palettes. Nevertheless, there are a great many things about the current User Interface offers that I also like.

Yes, you can detach the Instant Details with the little square icon, and it will mimic the Palette behavior of v.9.

b. Resource: this is the deal breaker. The old version could be moved anywhere, which for me meant way off to the right and out of the way of my texts. Now when I open it, it takes up a relatively huge amount of my window space (and it resists any attempt to minimize it further) and, being on the left hand side of the window, shunts all my texts over to the right — I can avoid that by closing it, but that only makes the resource less resourceful — and requires more keystrokes. This does not strike me as the polite behaviour of a resource; it's the dominating behaviour that MS Word is so well known for. I can of course set it to overlay which preserves my texts but then it insists on obscuring my main search box and main search text which is even worse. The old version, far more compact and unobtrusive, also allowed me to use buttons with drop down menus. I've spent hundreds of hours building up a series of Quickkeys routines that would enable me to launch a range of new windows by one keystroke — all of which are now broken (and I've just embarked on a year long sabbatical to finish a commentary; I neither have the time, nor the emotional energy to redo them given that under the new system they'll be more complex). With Acc 10 now I have to click on the arrow, and then find my text. If I want to filter (to remove the unwanted recently opened) I can't have texts and modules open at the same time (have you recently hired someone from Microsoft ... [smiley face]?) Seriously though, is there any way to get the resources palette out of the workspace and over to the right and out of the way, and reduced in size from the massive two inches wide and full length of the workspace to the 3/4s inch and compact version it used to be? (I really don't need to have the recently opened list pushing down the rest of the list, so that now I have to scroll down — added work — before I can get to the stuff I really want?)

I think what I'm trying to say is, philosophically, details/resource do not belong in the main window. I.e. Accordance is about access to the text.. the tools are aids; keep them distinct.

Let me repeat however, that I am and always have been a great fan of and outspoken advocate for Acc (as the folks there well know). And I appreciate, as always, the great work you continue to do, and the tremendous amount of effort you've put into 10. So please hear the above as a (I admit, somewhat impassioned — but that's because I'm a buy-in from a long time ago) friendly call (plea?) for amendment.

Perhaps some others can discuss the other comments.

Thanks for your loyalties to Accordance!

Edited by James Tucker

This one I can help with. To hide the main toolbar use the key command: "Option -> Command -> 0 (Zero)". Or are you looking for a preference that will hide the toolbar for each new workspace?

Dear James and Scott... thanks for the instant replies : )

1. James... tks for the heads up on "details" ... just what the doc ordered...

2. Scott: yes I am aware... but it's a bit tiresome to have to do that for every window after every start-up, hence my request for a preferences option (cf. under Prefs\Appearance\tabs-zones\ check box "Always show Lib as pop-over" ) be nice to have under General, say, Amplify or Other... a check box for suppress Tool Bar.

3. one other thought.. how about an entirely new pref pane "Resources" : ) — we have one for instant details ? It's SUCH an important feature that the more customization (and the simpler it was) all the better. I know there's some limited flexibility using the gear wheel in the Lib window but (sorry) it's cumbersome. The benefit of having buttons with drop down menus is that it doesn't mess up the primary hierarchy structure. Once the menu item has been selected we revert to the original. Under the new system one has to continually click the little triangles. I suspect it's a matter of a perfectly understandable attempt to standardize overriding ease of use. I should know this, but does Acc have Beta testers? I don't want to intrude but as a very long user, I'd be happy to assist in whatever way I could...

again thanks to you both ... (I'm heading out for a bit... so prob won't respond for a while... ) blessings, Rikk

2. Scott: yes I am aware... but it's a bit tiresome to have to do that for every window after every start-up, hence my request for a preferences option (cf. under Prefs\Appearance\tabs-zones\ check box "Always show Lib as pop-over" ) be nice to have under General, say, Amplify or Other... a check box for suppress Tool Bar.

OK, now I know what you were asking for. Seems reasonable.

I have recently been called to a new church, and my Accordance use dropped off dramatically with all the changes. Ver. 10 is excellent in my opinion and has renewed my interest and belief that this is best Bible software available. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

I've been an Accordance user from the days it came out on floppies ... so long ago I can't actually remember the date. While I really do appreciate all the hard work put in by the Accordance people (well done to Helen et al), and they know of my steadfast support over the years, I do have some questions about Acc 10. I've paid for the upgrade — always happy to support the good folks at Acc — but after trying out 10 for a week or so, I've returned to Acc 9. So some comments from a real old-timer......

Not sure how to respond to myself...so this will have to do... :)

But first off, thanks to Joel for his serious time investment this morning in explaining some of the new features and helping sort through alternative workflows ... my praise cannot be fulsome enough.

Most important, now happy to go ahead with new library (search feature is very good and the alternates are even faster than in 9) and let the old resource palette go (very helpful to hear why it created problems for others).

SO... all this to say.. well done again on Accordance 10 and yes I'm now migrating everything to the new version.

Keep up the excellent work... hearing about your thinking behind the new features made me realize just how much you take into account everyone's needs; even more an Accordance Evangelist — if that's possible (probably appropriate for a gospels scholar, no?)

• Like 1

I have been holding off on upgrading because I didn't really want to drop $50 and I didn't think that I was missing much. I just upgraded and boy was I wrong!

The new features and deletion of some old ones make this the best Accordance version I have ever used. I am amazed and thrilled with the new features. In the short time I have been using version 10 I can see how my study is going to be so much easier and pleasant. The new Library and its options are fantastic. The reading mode, the pop-over Instant Details and pictures within tools are splendid! Thank you for killing the Resource Palette!

As I read about the new features within the help menu and explored them one by one within Accordance, I just got happier and happier.

Version 10 was $50 dollars well spent. No regrets, here. I feel like I have new program on my computer!

Thanks to the Accordance team for maintaining a high level of excellence in service and innovation.

Edited by circuitrider
  • Like 1