What is the 'Recycle' Sign?

RogueMonk

I'm trying to figure out what the sign the looks like a recycling sign is (and what it does)? Its on the far right of the search bar beside the circle with a plus in it. It turns blue when I click it--beyond that I don't know what it does anc couldn't find any help in the help.

Thanks.

It forces Accordance to reuse a tab when the conditions are congruent for it to do so. The Help Files explain it in depth, but if you were to research a tool (with recycling on=blue), then Accordance would repopulate the results in the same tab.

Edited by James Tucker

Hi Rogue... ;-)

It's a symbol that means the zone will be recycled. That is, when you amplify to a zone (say by triple-clicking), accordance defaults to using the same zone for the next amplify, thus replacing what you have just amplified to.

If however, you turn off the recycle button, accordance will open a new zone with the results of your amplify.

Hope that makes some sense.

James. You beat me by a few seconds! Doesn't pay to be slow here!

Edited by Ken Simpson

• 1 year later...

So in other words, if I am amplifying the text in ESVS it will do it in my already open ESVS window as opposed to opening ESVS2?

If I understand you correctly then no it will not. Accordance does not amplify to the same pane - even if that pane is set to recycle. So in your case it would open an ESVS-2. However if you amplified using the same type of criteria (i.e. first amplify was for a word and so was the second) from the ESVS again it would amplify to ESVS-2 as long as ESVS-2 was set to recycle.

Be aware that if you amplify to a tool and you have set Accordance to automatically include the text reference in the the amplify the tool will not recycle when you might think it should. In this instance if you amplified a word from the ESVS to the Anchor Dictionary then you amplified another word from the ESVS to Anchor it would only recycle for a word from the same verse because the criteria is the same.

Hope that made sense. The best way is just trying it out with various combinations. (Note you can override the automatic inclusion of the text reference when amplifying to a tool with the shift key).

If I understand you correctly then no it will not. Accordance does not amplify to the same pane - even if that pane is set to recycle. So in your case it would open an ESVS-2. However if you amplified using the same type of criteria (i.e. first amplify was for a word and so was the second) from the ESVS again it would amplify to ESVS-2 as long as ESVS-2 was set to recycle.

Be aware that if you amplify to a tool and you have set Accordance to automatically include the text reference in the the amplify the tool will not recycle when you might think it should. In this instance if you amplified a word from the ESVS to the Anchor Dictionary then you amplified another word from the ESVS to Anchor it would only recycle for a word from the same verse because the criteria is the same.

Hope that made sense. The best way is just trying it out with various combinations. (Note you can override the automatic inclusion of the text reference when amplifying to a tool with the shift key).

I guess what I am looking for is any reference link anywhere to always open in the same window of the ESV, does that make sense? I don't understand the purpose of the recycle button I'm very confused.

Go to Preferences: Tool Display and choose ESVS as your main hyperlink text. Choose KJVA as the alternate text, or another version with the Apocrypha. This will make the ESVS your preferred text. When you mouse over a reference link in a tool, it will show in Instant Details. If you click a reference, it will open ESVS in a recyclable Text tab, and reuse that tab for each subsequent reference.

Go to Preferences: Tool Display and choose ESVS as your main hyperlink text. Choose KJVA as the alternate text, or another version with the Apocrypha. This will make the ESVS your preferred text. When you mouse over a reference link in a tool, it will show in Instant Details. If you click a reference, it will open ESVS in a recyclable Text tab, and reuse that tab for each subsequent reference.

Thanks for the reply, I will try that when I get home. I'm still a little fuzzy on what a recycle tab is, but I'll see if I can figure it out. Perhaps recycle is a poor term? I don't know.

It's a tab where the recycle symbol is blue, active, which means the tab will be reused in an amplify action unless you turn off recycling.

It's a tab where the recycle symbol is blue, active, which means the tab will be reused in an amplify action unless you turn off recycling.

Maybe I'm just dumb lol, I get that in concept, but I haven't seen a practical example of it, does that make any sense? Or perhaps it is still too early on a Saturday morning ;)

Hi David,

A simple worked example can be constructed using the ESVS text. Note I'm using the Strings tagged ESVS not ESV - but you should have both in any collection I believe. I do and I only got the Starter.

Go to Gen 1:3. There you will notice a superscript c by "Let there be ....", and in Gen 1:4 a d superscripted by "Let there be ...". Double clicking on the c will pop up the ESV Crossrefs indicating a cross ref to Corinthians. And the recycle icon should be blue. Then double clicking on the d will reuse that tab as recycle is on and locate to another xref indicating a ref in Job, Psalms, Jer etc.

The just pick a word from the ESVS text and triple click on that. It should open another tab in a keyed dictionary (KM in my case as its OT). Again recycle should be set. Triple clicking a different word will reuse the dictionary tab to look up this word.

So recycle use depends upon the recycle icon being set and the context and type of search being similar enough that the tab can sensibly be reused. It very handily prevents a proliferation of tabs.

Hope this helps.

Thx

D