Markdown in user tools and notes

Alex H.

I know this is maybe a bit out there, but I'm trying to use User Tools more, as well as experimenting with User Notes for different things. It would be great to have markdown as an option for formatting. I'm using it in a couple of other apps and it really does make formatting much easier. Also, being able to edit user tools in the same window as we view them, maybe with some kind of toggle? Having popup windows can be an issue sometimes.

• Like 1

I've never liked the "separate edit window" approach, so I agree with you there. I suppose it's necessary because the tool is built after each edit.

But, I don't really understand what you're asking for when want support for Markdown. You can use Markdown in your tools... just use it. Or are you then wanting it to convert from Markdown to encoded formatting (bold, lists, etc.)? If that is the case you could of course use other converters, for which there are many. If you wrote a user tool in Markdown, you could have it converted to html, which could then import as well.

Definitely would like to be able to edit notes within the same window. The pop up window and interface feels very archaic. If anyone uses Ulysses the ability to add notes instantly in a side panel alongside your main document is very useful.

Also would love to be able to 'select all notes' and reformat or have a preferences pane which forces a default notes display like a text or tool.

• Like 1

If you wrote a user tool in Markdown, you could have it converted to html, which could then import as well.

I'm pretty new to User Tools, so didn't realise you could import HTML. That would be a good solution. The advantage of having it built in to Accordance is that I can have the Tool window open while I'm using references in another Zone. Well, more space efficiently anyway. And it cuts out a step. But it's probably too niche for Accordance to bother. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

@ Alex - Maybe niche, but great idea as it would solve all the issues of 'style's which you currently have to apply manually. If you could edit in the same window (without opening the pop up) then when you save, it reverts back to HTML - a bit like mou but in one window - it would be very nice.

• Like 2