Disable the Instant Details Popover?

Robb B

Is there a way to disable the instant details popover? I am trying to select text on my MBP, and every time I click and hold for a split second, the popover appears and I cannot select text. I have the Instant Details zone visible, so I'm not sure why the popover is still showing. I went into the Instant Details preference pane, but I didn't see anything there to turn off the popover. Any help would be much appreciated.

Things are quiet, it seems. I'll bet that we will be seeing Accordance 10.2 really soon and hopefully it will aid those of us who are having issues selecting text on our MBs with the ID popover.

Crossing my fingers. :)

Is there a way to disable the instant details popover? I am trying to select text on my MBP, and every time I click and hold for a split second, the popover appears and I cannot select text. I have the Instant Details zone visible, so I'm not sure why the popover is still showing. I went into the Instant Details preference pane, but I didn't see anything there to turn off the popover. Any help would be much appreciated.

Robb, you may what to add your two cents to this similar topic.

Hey Robb,

I too think the selection issue has become harder, but I have found a bot of a workaround that works really well for me.

Instead of click-drag, I double click (to select the word) and then, holding down the shift hey, I single click at the end of the last word in the string I want. Works really well with no pesky pop-ups! (well at elast it works well with me) Never see the ID popup anymore except when I want it. I admit it's a workaround, but hey, it works for me.

As per usual...YMMV.

• 1 month later...

I have the opposite question. Why am I not getting any popup when hovering over with my cursor?

If you are referring to the pop-up on a word or hyper link, hovering with the cursor wont do it. You need to click and hold on the word (or hyper link) to activate the pop-up. Hovering alone does work with the instant details pane, however.

Clicking and holding on a word does nothing for me. I've now got the instant detail window open to the side but only hyper links give info in the window. Nothing else.

Clicking and holding on a word does nothing for me. I've now got the instant detail window open to the side but only hyper links give info in the window. Nothing else.

It depends on the resource you are using. If you are seeing something in the Instant Details window, that same info will display in a popover if you opt-click on the hyperlink. Click and hold works in tagged texts.