Word Study

Oheyward

I am new to accordance 10. I have just purchased ultimate. I am attempting to do a word study. I am not sure how to begin with this software. How would i see what my greek lexicons say on a particular term in a text? For example, if i am in Philippians 2:6, and i wanted to look up the word "fashion", how would i get a report back on what my lexicons say about this term? Thanks in advance!

Assuming you're reading from a key number text (like the ESVS), triple-click the word and it will open in the linked key number dictionary. If that's not enough info, triple click the Greek word in that entry and it open up a Greek lexicon. The same pattern applies to Hebrew words in the OT. If you want to jump straight from the ESVS to the Greek lexicon, select the word, hold the option key, and then amplify to the Greek lexicon from the tool bar, menu bar, library window, or contextual menu (right click).

Another option: if you hold open a Greek or Hebrew text in a parallel pane, hovering the mouse over the English word will cross-highlight the corresponding Greek or Hebrew word, and you can proceed from there.

The key number dictionaries are pre-linked. If you have more than one Greek or Hebrew lexicon, the default will be whichever is at the top of the list in the library under Greek tools or Hebrew tools.

Edited by JonathanHuber
  • Like 1

Hi Oheyward!

and thanks Jonathan!

The other way is top open your instant details pane (from the toolbar or CMD-OPT-2

Then when you mouse over a word (in a keyed text - i.e. HCSBS or KJVS or ESVS or NIV-G/K- the S stands for Stong's numbers, G/K for Goodrich-Kohlenberger numbers - keys in Accordance speak) you see the gloss entry in the instant details pane, and if you hold down CMD as you mouseover, you see your first Dictionary entry for the term.

You can also get instant details by OPTION-Clicking on a word and you get a popover which you dismiss by clicking somewhere else. You get the same info as the Instant Details pane, so use whatever fits your workflow better.

For some visuals...

The image below is of the plain instant details box (in pink outline - I added that)

post-29509-0-63484300-1346713238_thumb.jpg

With the CMD-Key pressed - it shows my Key dictionary - outlined in pink (it would be BDAG if it was a Greek Text) and a new item in V 10.0.2, the addition of the first English dictionary entry (Anchor for me - outlined in Green)

post-29509-0-05327300-1346713328_thumb.jpg

and finally, what you see if you option click a word

post-29509-0-86168600-1346713380_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps!

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

Thank you all so much. I have an additional question. I ask you to please be patient. How can i see all the ways the english word baptism is translated in greek? Thanks in advance!

Oheyward, to see all of the Greek words that are translated as baptism, I would do the following steps:

1. In a tagged text do a word search for baptism (or bapti* to include other words like baptize, baptisms, etc.)

2. Show the details (either click the details icon, or choose window->show details. This will bring up the details for your search.

3. Select one of the tabs labeled "analysis" (there may be a couple of them. These will show you all of the greek words translated as "baptism" (or the other words if you include them) in the NT.

Hope that helps.

In Christ,

Bret

Excellent suggestion Bret,

that will cover the possibilities for the Greek New Testament for the words you delineate. A perfect result. Note though this search has to be on one of the keyed texts *xxxS or NIVxx-G/K) to work (well - the search will "work" but you won't be able to analyse it for the Greek underlying - or Hebrew in OT).

Just as an additional thought: in v10, if you select flex search from the drop down menu in the search bar (the magnifying glass post-29509-0-56538300-1346724162_thumb.jpg), you can search for baptism, and you will automatically find the variations within the part of speech (nouns in this case) for that word, and baptize for the verbs, oh and you would add Baptist if you wanted the titular form.

So my search is baptism <or> baptise <or> baptist for 107 hits in 87 verses, which is the same as your search results (this is in ESVS).

Seems like a lot more work for the same result doesn't it, and in this case it is.

BUT, in other situations it might be quite different. If you want to look up all the references to "time" - ie possibly words like time, timed, times, timing, timely, if you use the wildcard method you will get extraneous results - Timaeus, timber, timbers, time, times, timid, Timna, Timnah, Timnath-heres, Timnath-serah, Timnite, Timon, Timothy, Timothy’s.

But if you use flex search you will automatically select out the words based on time...

time = 599

times = 147

Hope that helps.

Edited by Ken Simpson

Thank you all from such wonderful input. I am trying my best to get over this learning curve. I am so used to using another software, but find myself so impressed with accordance speed.

When I opened Accordance the very first time, I couldn't figure out how to even open a Bible passage. What I eventually realized is that every action in Accordance is essentially a search. You search for verses or words in texts and tools. So I remember the learning curve. The best way to get the hang of things is watching the podcasts by Dr. J. Download them all in iTunes and get started. A little investment now will significantly increase how much value you can get out of Accordance moving forward. Yes, most of the podcasts were made with prior versions, but the core functionality is the same (and the new toolbar can be configured to replace much of the old resource pallet). You will find the podcasts to be incredibly helpful. Just a few weeks after learning Accordance that way, I taught someone else how to use the app!